Wednesday, December 2, 2015

And the countdown has begun

Only 9 days before we go home and 23 days until Christmas! It's hard to believe. This time of year is my favorite, yet it seems to fly by so quickly each year that I barely am ably to appreciate and take in the Christmas spirit. I am beginning to realize that the only way to take control of enjoying the holidays is to make a conscious decision to not allowed oneself to get sucked into the hustle and bustle and chaos going on throughout the holiday season. 

First there is the anxiety of trying to find everyone on the list the perfect gift, then there is the stress of searching on line to find those gifts at a reasonable price, not to mention the frustration of finding a parking stall at the mall only to stand in endless lines among all the other agitated shoppers. It sounds sad to say that it takes a conscious effort to slow yourself down at Christmas, but it does. And so this year I am determined to try and handle the holiday season differently. I have come up with a plan. 

I plan to finish my shopping up quickly and without stressing over finding the perfect gift. Instead I am going to put less stress on what the gift is and more emphasis and making sure the person I give the gift to is able to feel how much I care. 

I plan to dedicate my next ten posts on stories and poems I have collected over the years and perhaps I get to turn it into a book for the children.

I plan to spend time sitting by the window at our apartment in Salt Lake. Sipping hot cocoa, and quietly contemplating the beautiful sunsets each afternoon thinking or the many blessings in our lives including the birth of our precious Ruby and the fact my mother is still alive. I don't want to take those blessings for granted. I think this time of the year is a fantastic time to sit and write down each of the blessings we have in our lives as keepsake to look back on in future years.

I plan to start early thinking of service projects my family can do for others for Christmas so our hearts and minds are more focused on the true meaning of Christmas from the start of the month. And for icing on the holiday spirit cake I plan to listen to visit Idaho too listening to plenty of Christmas music as we drive up North. I would also love to enjoy watching countless hallmark Christmas movies with our grandkids. Including Elf of course. That movies always helps to keep me in that Christmas spirit. I also plan to invite our friends for a good old time sake open house. Yes, this month I intend to truly enjoy and church the Christmas season and I realize that it is my attitude and my focus that will make that happen. 

It is especially important for me to remember that I control my attitude and focus. Especially when this will be a very special Christmas we get to spend it at home. It is  amazing how powerful the desire is to be with family during the holidays and it makes my hear goes out to all of those people who don't get to be around their family or loved ones during the holidays. I am so happy this one time we get to be home. I can't wait! 


No comments: