Tuesday, December 21, 2021

The Kindness of a Stranger

Day 21

 #LightTheWorld challage: Like Jesus you can teach through stories. Share a story from your life of the kindness of a stranger. 

I found an old photo that brought back a tender memory of the kindness of a stranger. The picture has some water damage but it still shows the faces of three little girls over 29 years ago. 

The setting was a busy store where my sister Liz, her family and my girls and I went shopping for souvenirs on our way back from Orlando to Miami where my sister and family lived at the time. We had been enjoying the parks in Orlando so it was time to stop at a mall to buy a few things. 

We were all together watching each other’s kids when I got destructed looking at some things to buy when all the sudden, here comes in the store a gentleman with a little girl in his arms and a police officer asking if anyone knew who this little girl belonged to?

As I looked at them, I couldn’t believe my eyes. That one year old little girl was my Mandy! I felt petrified and in shock to even think she had gotten very quietly out of the store into a parking lot without me knowing. I thought she was being watched by my sister and brother in law and they thought she was with me. 

I can’t tell you the impact that one experience has had in my life that I have never ever forgotten about it. First, it was a huge relief that my baby girl was okay. But second, it was an amazing thing to know the kindness of this person I didn’t know. What an angel he was to have done that. His kindness was truly humbling. He handed Mandy to me after I proved to the officer she was my daughter by showing him a picture of our family I was carrying in my wallet. That is the exact picture I found. Mandy was of course in the picture. 

The policeman handed Mandy to me with some hesitation as to saying to me: “what kind of a mother are you”? I know, I deserved to be scolded. I had lost my child and didn’t even know it. Lesson learned! Never assumed your child is in the care of someone else and never lose sight of your child that small and so quick even for a second.

Another lesson I learned that day was the kindness of a stranger who took the time of his day to find this child her mother. Too bad we never exchanged contact information because I would have wanted to thank him but I hope somehow, he realizes how deeply grateful I am for returning my child.  

That was an epic example of the kindness of a stranger, however, we all have opportunities daily to help someone in need and they don’t necessarily have to be that dramatic to make them count as a service rendered. I don’t think there is a day that goes by that I don’t think of doing something for someone or someone does something for me. 

Having said that, I realized that most people become charitable during the Christmas season and it so happens that it’s three days before Christmas. A time when we are reminded of the goodness and abundant gifts and blessings we have been privileged to have enjoyed and to do something for others.

 Con amor,

Vero


No comments: