Saturday, July 4, 2015

4th of July is not the same abroad

Today I want to share the lyrics of a song by Lee Greenwood:

"I ma proud to be an American where at least I know I'm free. And I won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me. And I'd gladly stand up next to you and defend her still today. Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land God bless the U.S.A."

There are some Holidays only celebrated in the US and the fourth of July is one of  them. It is one day I wish I was there because I am an American! Yep, some people might think I am a traitor but the truth is, as much as I love El Salvador, I love the United States of America. My children were born there and all our grandchildren too. Not to mention that I feel completely out of place in El Salvador and even as if I were a foreigner when I am there. That place is not what it used to be. That was my place of birth and my home for 18 years but I am 55 now. I have been an American citizen and have  lived in the United States more years of my life than in my homeland.

Too often we all take for granted what a great blessing it is to be considered an "Americano" to live in a country that stands for freedom of choice and freedom of religion. It's easy when you have those freedoms as part of your normal daily life to forget how truly lucky and blessed we are. That is why I miss not being in the States celebrating the Fourth of July this year because it is a good reminder of how blessed and lucky I am.

In the American School I attended, every time we had an assembly or every monday we started our week reciting the Pledge of Allegiance with says:

I pledge allegiance to the flag
Of the United States of America
And to the Republic for which it stands
One nation under God, Indivisible,
With Liberty and justice for all.

I don't think school do that anymore. Everything is Politically correct these days. It is sad, my children and grandchildren are not reminded to be grateful for this wonderful nation they were lucky to have been born in and to pay tribute to the fact that we became this great Nation under a God and his divine direction.

I hope you all get to enjoy this day for me.

God bless,
Vero

No comments: