Monday, December 31, 2018

Happy New Year

Every new year for me is also a new year in my life. Or as some people may say: “a year closer to the harp than the guitar” I can’t believe I’m turning 59 on the 3rdof January. That means is the last year in my fifties. 
Why is it that 59 sounds just as old as 95? It sounds so old when I say it but, trust me, my heart is still 25!  

I can’t pretend I’m not feeling how old I am, because I do. My gray hair shows it. Aches and pains come from nowhere, climbing stairs takes a lot more effort, and the wrinkles…so may wrinkles…but with all that, I will admit there is one thing about growing older that is a definite plus, and that is that with every additional candle that goes on your birthday cake you’ve gained that much more wisdom along the way. And wisdom means more and more to you the older you get…you learn to appreciate its value.

Here are the top ten words of wisdom I’ve gained along the way:

#1 *Happiness is a choice, not a condition.” 
We experienced it on December 18thwhen we lost our $1000.00 cash we were taking to Uruguay and the Philippines. They were 10 new $100 dollar bills tucked in an envelope. We always keep a cash reserve for an emergency but we got distracted. The last time Daniel saw the money was at the American Airline counter. For about five minutes we were stressed out but decided to just forget about the incident and enjoy our trip. What I also learned from this experience is how proud I am of us and our family because if any of us would have found that money we would have taken it to the lost and found. I have done it a few times when I have found wallets and such so I was hoping for the same kindness given to us but we were not that lucky. 

#2 *We are capable of more than we think we are.” It is amazing the things you do when you need to. On December 23rd,in La Paloma, Uruguay, Daniel and I volunteered to do the sacrament meeting Christmas program at a small branch where Daniel’s brother is the branch President. We only had one afternoon to prepare for it and it turned out amazing. Daniel started with a message about who is Jesus Christ? Followed by the story of the first Christmas and in between we sang Christmas carols. I ended the meeting with my “Fear not” message I had given a few weeks ago and people told us how much they enjoyed the program. 

#3 *Trust your gut. It’s often more reliable than your head or your heart.” Once we decided to take a vacation to see both Daniel’s mom and my mom around Christmas we made it happen by asking for help from the Airline travel agents. It was way too complicated for me to do on line. We were coming from Manila to Utah, to Montevideo and back to Manila making a quick stop in Miami.  The only way to get the cost of tickets down was to visit them at their office in person until they found the perfect itinerary that would work for us. I had the feeling I needed to visit them in person.  If I had not gone to see them, that trip would not have happened. It was over $5,500 a ticket but after talking to the right people, the ticket price changed to $2,600 from $5,500. 

#4 *Make a goal poster. With your goals…any goals…big and small and when that one is accomplished make another one…never stop having a new goal poster in life. One of my goals for 2018 was to be a missionary at Pathway. I love that program and hope all of you get acquainted with it. Take the course when you find some time. It’s amazing! 

#5 *Be willing to work your guts out for what you want. I promise, you will value the things you earn far more than the things you’re given.” I am working hard at becoming financially independent and by that, I mean to be completely out of debt. At our age, is recommended to not take too many risks. 
  
#6 *The most important choice you will make in this life is who you marry. Choose wisely, then go all in.” I have learned that marriage will only lead to happily ever after if you are ministering to each other, daily. Forgiving one another, constantly building your friendship with each another, enduring all of life’s trials together, loving each other and standing side by side in total fidelity to your marriage. It’s only at the end of a lifetime of working at a relationship that it becomes that fairytale you always wanted. The happily ever after is up to you! 

#7 *Spend more time with your family and the people who truly loves you.  Think of who they are and spend time with them. They are the most important relationships you will ever have so treat your time with them as sacred.” When I am with family I feel as if I am in Heaven. Our family is the most important thing for me because I can feel of their love. On the way home I watched the movie Won’t You Be my Neighbor” and there was a part where Fred Rogers asked to think of a person who they know loves them for who they are. He also explained that what he meant when he said that everyone is special. He explained that we don’t need to do anything sensational to be loved and that is the part when I cried. 

#8 “God doesn’t expect us to achieve perfection “– He expects us to live in pursuit of it by doing our best each day. I saw this statement I want to share. “Do your best, and for heaven’s sake quit telling yourself you can’t be happy until perfection is achieved! Be happy in the pursuit of it! It’s enough!! You are enough!!”

#9 Mostly what I’ve come to learn in these almost 59 years is that life isn’t easy, but it wasn’t meant to be. Life was meant to teach us, to challenge us, to educate us, to humble us, to refine us, and to help us progress. Life was meant to be a test or a “prueba” as we say in Spanish…not so we can prove who we are to other people, but to prove who we are to ourselves. God already knows our capacity for greatness…but He gave us life and He gave us agency because He loved us enough to let us decide for ourselves who it is we want to be…so decide…then prove it…prove to yourself. Leave a life so your children will be proud. I think that is a quote I saw at Bianca’s and Joe’s home. 

#10 I decided who I want to be a long time ago. I have always wanted to be a true disciple of the Lord.  Now I’m just working at living each day in a way that proves to myself that I am that trustworthy person I want to be. I hope you also know exactly who you want to be! 

Happy New Year everyone. Today we spent it with the Missionaries at the MTC and it was so much fun!

(Make sure to eat a little cake on January 3rd to celebrate my 59thbirthday with me!)

Con amor,
Vero

No comments: