Sunday, August 29, 2021

Returning where I belong

Today marks the first-time Daniel and I returned to Church after almost 18 months in isolation due to COVID and this is a day to celebrate! 

 

My feelings were expressed by what brother Flynn said:

 

“Why I love going to Church

 

Okay... this is just me. I like going to Church. 

Some say, these days, that they don’t need to go. They can find God in the Mountains or the Deserts or the Forests. True. He’s there. There’s the saying “Sitting in Church doesn’t make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.” I get that. 

 

I don’t go to Church to validate my status as a Christian. And I already have a car. 

I go because I feel Peace there. Warmth. Love. I see Friends and Neighbors. Strangers. All there at Church. Worshipping, in their own ways, the God who made Us. And His Son. As we say in our Faith... I partake of the Sacrament. The Bread. The Water. The Reminders.... 

of Christ. His Atonement. His Love. His Gospel. His Church. 

 

Something happens when people gather together. There’s an Energy, a Passion, that’s palpable in gatherings. Be it Family. A Concert. An AA Meeting. A Stadium full of Football Fans. Or... a Sacrament Meeting. 

And when I sit in Church... I sense that energy. I Feel. I Learn. I am Uplifted. I Grow. 

 

So I suppose, in a way, my going to Church is selfish. I love it. Do I go for others? Not really. I guess I don’t go FOR others... rather I go TO others. And they come to me. And together we Worship. It’s a great feeling. 

 

I can’t get that kind of growth on my own. I’m not Strong enough. Or Good enough. I need their Energy. Their Faith. Their Commitment to the Greater Good. To God. And Christ. 

 

Am I weak because I need others to help me through my mortal sojourn? Yes. I am. I think that’s part of the Plan. The “Love Thy Neighbor...” part. 

I think Mountains and Deserts and Forests are great. Love them all. And they, in their own sphere, have certainly contributed to my life in meaningful ways. 

But on any given Sunday... I choose Church. 

 

Love to all... Michael”

 

I could not agree more! He took the words out of my mouth. As much as I love nature and have to say, going to see the Iguazu falls has to be a must do on anyone’s bucket list because of its majestic beauty where you feel God’s incredible power, I prefer the love and the energy you can only get when you gather with friends who think like you.  I don’t understand people who don’t miss it the way I do because to me it's like not drinking water or not eating or sleeping. Going to Church is that basic and that needed. I absolutely, positively love going to Church!

 

Con amor,

Vero

No comments: