Saturday, June 15, 2019

A Father's legacy

“God himself, He who is highest of all, chose to be addressed simply as Father.”
 – A. Theodore Tuttle

I do an ABC gospel book for each one of our grandchildren and currently I am making one for baby Walter. For the letter D, I got a quote on the page that reads. “Anybody can be a Father but it takes someone special to be a Daddy.” 

This weekend we celebrate Father’s Day but sadly, we live in a world where the role of father is too often belittled, diminished, or treated as unnecessary. Just look at the entertainment in movies and television shows that too often present fathers as incompetent silly men who add little value in their homes. I know it brings out an easy laugh from the audience when fathers get represented that way, but I also can’t help but wonder how much that representation of fathers has impacted the respect the role of father receives anymore and I also can’t help but wonder how much that representation of fathers has impacted the self-worth of the fathers themselves these days. I can’t help but feel that perhaps we should all be more vocal about the value and importance of good fathers.

My husband wouldn’t be the person he is today without his father in his life. Hermes, his dad, has been his rock. He gave Daniel only good advice, he was a fantastic Patriarch. Hermes helped Daniel set his emotions aside during those times he had to make tough choices, he was an example for all who knew him and that sentiment is also extended to someone like me who never met him but the memories of him are still alive. 


My father Manuel was a good person too and an honest man. He lost his dad very young and had a hard life. He had to work so hard to help support his widowed mother but what people remembers about him is that he had a good heart. He helped a lot of people. As an adult, he became available and a lot more easy- going and less stressed out and so fun to be around. He loved to travel the world and enjoyed family time. 

I have great respect for those who become fathers by choice when they get married to a woman who already has children or adopt a child. I believe that all children need good fathers. I want to give a special shout out to my husband Daniel who is a wonderful dad and grandpa. Our children consider him one of their very best friends as well. I was listening to Vale yesterday talk to him on the phone and I love the way they tease each other. It’s so wonderful to know that our children can count on him. He will always be there for them no matter how far we are physically. I know the Almeida children wouldn’t be who they are today without their father.

To our sons and sons-in law, you are all the best! I have watched our grandchildren’s little eyes never stop watching you and the example that you set. You are needed. Your role is important. And I think I speak for all when I say a good father is irreplaceable in the life of a child. I have such tender feelings about Fathers and the importance they play in our own lives and in the lives of their children. 

Finally, I want to give tribute to all the good dads out there and let them know that they matter far more than they could ever imagine in the lives of their children. Your children depend on you, they look up to you, and they desperately need your love and approval. 

Happy Father’s Day to all the good fathers, potential fathers, fathers working to become better fathers, fathers in Heaven and God, The Father! 

Con amor,
Vero 

No comments: