Sunday, March 15, 2020

A day to remember

I am confused? On one hand, I think that it is better to be safe than sorry if we were to be only 10 days behind Italy, it’s worth taking the extra pre-cautions for each of us to do our part, but on another, I wonder why SARS, Swine flu, Zika, Ebola etc. came and went almost undetected and never produced this kind of mass hysteria madness in proportion to the harm they caused financially? Could be that none of those infections reached the crossover the way this one has? No one knows. 

I am also surprised at all the people who are wiping out supplies and leaving nothing where many can’t get what they need. I call that overreaction based on fear and panic. Hoarding needs to be outlawed! Gandhi once said: "The world has enough for everyone's need, but not enough for everyone's greed." While living in the Philippines, I learned to have patience whenever disasters hits and they have had a good share of them. I heard a friend say: “Regardless of what happens, I am ready to go any day since death is eminent and will take us all someday anyway.” I keep telling myself, this too shall pass. “For God hath not given us the spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.”

I just hope the Corona scare does not do more harm than the illness itself. At least is good to know that if anyone gets it, he or she will have a 97% chance of survival. For now, I think is good to slow down, find peace, have faith and pray. This is but a moment in eternity. Today was the National Day of Prayer so it was surreal to think that this day, millions of people were praying in unison for those who are afflicted by the COVID-19 illness. We did our part praying several times and having a Sunday service at home, singing and partaking of the Sacrament which felt like heaven! 

Con amor,
Vero

No comments: