Monday, March 2, 2020

Jesus fasts 40 days and is temped

From His youth, Jesus seemed to be aware that He had a unique sacred mission. But as Jesus prepared to begin His early ministry, after fasting for 40 days, the adversary sought to plant doubt in the Savior's mind. " If Thou be the Son of God," Satan said (Luke4:3) However, the Savior had communed with His Father in Heaven. He knew the scriptures, and He knew who He was. To Him, Satan's offer "All this power will I give thee" (Luke 4:6) was a hollow one, for the Savior's lifelong preparation allowed Him to receive "the power of the Spirit" (Luke 4:14) So despite temptations, trials and rejection, Jesus Christ never wavered from His appointed work. He was focused on doing His Father's work. " I must preach the Kingdom of God for therefore I am sent." (Luke 4:43)

It can be comforting to know that because Christ also face and overcame temptations, He knows the temptations we face and can help us overcome them. (Hebrews 2:18); (Alma 7: 11-12 ) I sometimes wonder if I had been fasting for 40 days and was temped to turn a stone into bread would I have done it? I wonder what is Satan temping me to do? and how can I prepare to resist temptation?

Sometimes people feel guilty when they are temped to sin. But even the Savior who lived without sin "Hebrews 4:15) was temped.

Con amor,
Vero

No comments: