Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Brillante Navidad

I don't know what would be the translation for "Brillante Navidad" but it means something super shiny and it is. The park "Iberoamerica" across the street from us has according to the mayor, 50 million lights! Imagine that! and they are all very  shiny and colorful. Every color imaginable is displayed all through the park.
 Yesterday was the official grand opening of a new amphitheater that holds 2600 people.  I think there were about that many people in attendance. We didn't get an invitation since we are not all that well connected I guess but Mary Antivilo was given an invitation she couldn't use and gave it to me. Daniel went over to take me and to see if somebody had an extra invitation but it no one did.
 All the missionaries from la Casa went, a few of the expats and the Area Presidency. Daniel didn't care about going but I did, I wished he had been there but that's life. You can never assume. I thought for sure we would have been invited since Daniel is the DTA but he didn't ask for the invitation and neither did I.
Other than it was kind of weird to not have Daniel with me, it turned out fine. I sat by the Flakes and it turned out to be a pleasant evening. They started late as usual with the announcer making sure all the sponsors got mentioned. They are the businesses who contribute in the decorations of the park. Every business takes a segment of the park lighting it up. The mayor who told the audience how he had a dream and that dream has come true. The mayor of Tegusigalpa a friend of his was there also, they had a priest bless the site and the national dance ballet danced a few songs from the Nutcraker. At the end they turned on the lights and had a display of fireworks.
Last year three million people attended the Park in December which means that traffic is going to be impossible for the next month. The park is about a half mile around and every inch is illuminated. It is probably the most illuminated park in the world around Christmas in the world.  Very impressive!!

No comments: