Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Teaching Institute is the best!!

This is the first time ever that I have not prepared too much so I hope it all goes well with my class. I usually prepare for a whole week since I have discovered how much I enjoy teaching young adults. They are the promise, the builders of nations and the future leaders. One thing I do besides teach is to give them extra things I learned myself as I have grown older so they don't make those same mistakes.  I feel you not only learned by knowledge of things from textbooks but also by experience. There is a list of things I once saw at a psychologist office during a hard time in my life where I would seek professional help that has always stuck by me. Especially number one. I never forgot that one because it referred to who you choose to marry.
We each may have our own definition of what the word success means to us in our lives, but I believe that success is something that each of us strive for. Figuring out how to achieve success has been the topic of countless books and articles throughout time. One particular article that I thought had great suggestions on achieving success was written by H. Jackson Brown, Jr. In his article he gave 21 suggestions for success, which are as follows:

I love his view of how to achieve success in life. To me success isn’t about money or fame or title, its about having good character. It’s about living your life with integrity and love and being a person you can feel proud of when each day is done. That is success in my book. And I think his suggestions are awesome ways to work toward that. I am really grateful I came across his article as it was truly inspiring.

 During my time teaching I also talked about those things since the class was designed to teach ways to be successful.
21 Suggestions for Success:
* Marry the right person. This decision will determine 90% of your happiness or misery.
* Work at something you enjoy that's worthy of your time and talent.
*Give people more than they expect and do it cheerfully.
*Become the most positive and enthusiastic person you know.
*Be forgiving of yourself and others.
* Be generous.
* Have a grateful heart.
*Persistence, persistence, persistence
*Discipline yourself to save money on even the most modest salary.
*Treat everyone you meet like you want to be treated.
*Commit yourself to constant improvement.
* Commit yourself to quality.
*Understand that happiness is not based on possessions, power or prestige, but on relationships with people you love and respect.
* Be loyal.
* Be honest.
* Be a self-starter.
* Be decisive even if it means you'll sometimes be wrong.
*Stop blaming others. Take responsibility for every area of your life.
* Be bold and courageous. When you look back on your life, you'll regret the things you didn't do more than the ones you did.
* Take good care of those you love.
*Don't do anything that wouldn't make your mom proud.


During the course of the class I touched into each one of those suggestions. My favorite is #1 Marry the right person. I do believe this one alone will determine 90% of your happiness and your children's happiness or misery. The Gospel and Provident Living is perhaps one of the most essential classes every young adult should take. I am in love with this class.

No comments: