Monday, November 27, 2017

A note of thanks

On Saturday celebrated thanksgiving at the office with all the Missionary couples. Some children provided entertainment and Daniel showed a very touching ad from LDS Charities that will be aired soon. We also had a message from Elder Bowen who said that there is a time and a season and how thankful we are for all the senior missionaries who have paused their busy lives with family to come to the Philippines to serve.

Today I have been thinking a lot about Gratitude. My life has been a huge whirlwind. Some things I have experienced have been amazing and some things I have experienced have been incredibly challenging and heart- wrenching. I suppose that is the same for all of us. But today especially I am feeling incredibly grateful because 26 years ago yesterday I became a mother for the third and last time to a beautiful soul we named Amanda but we prefer calling her Mandy who became my buddy for a time when I was alone and having her at home was a true blessing. 

Today, the gratitude I am feeling can’t be put into words, but I am going to try because I think expressing our gratitude is incredibly important. That is why I love the opening quote of today’s letter so much. I think that when we feel gratitude in our hearts, we need to express it!

First, I am grateful to my Heavenly Father because He has blessed my life beyond measure. When things go right for me I know He played a major role in it. When things go wrong for me He helps me through it. And when things seem to be confusing and I can’t understand why things are going the way they are I know that He is the one ultimately in charge and He is always leading me toward something that will be for my own good. I am eternally grateful to know that.

Second, I am grateful to my family. I have the most amazing husband and the most incredible children and grandchildren anyone could ask for. They are my entire world. They mean everything to me and I cannot thank them enough for their love and support in my life. I was so delighted to see the photos you all posted of the different gatherings. I miss you all fiercely but we know where we are supposed to be right now. The Philippines needs Daniel. And now to make it even better both of our moms are healthy and doing well. My mom had foot surgery before thanksgiving and she seems to be healing miraculously. 

Third, I am grateful for my extended family and in-laws. I think of my grandmother Hilda and Daniel’s dad Hermes.  What a wonderful legacy they left for us to follow. I am also proud of our siblings and their children and everything they stand for. The Almeida’s are incredible and feel so proud to carry the name. 

Fourth, I am grateful for my friends. I have amazing friends, and incredible mentors in my life. I find myself surrounded by the brightest and the greatness in every aspect of my life. From my neighbors to Daniels coworkers to all the other friends in my life. They make me a better person because I associate with them.

Finally, I am grateful for our support system in my personal affairs and my little rental business, as well as Daniel’s job. We have been supported by the best and the brightest.  Finding good honest, hard- working people you can trust is not easy, but when you do, it is a massive blessing and something to be appreciative every day. The Filipinos are so kind and service oriented people. It has been a joy to work with them. Right now, we are taking off to be with our dear employees for some training and put into action what we learn. 

I love this quote by John F. Kennedy:  

“As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to LIVE by them.”

What a good reminder and so my goal is to not only express gratitude, but to live every day of my life with gratitude. Hope you all had a fabulous Thanksgiving weekend. I have started counting the days to come over to the U.S. and can’t wait! 

Con amor,
Vero

No comments: