Monday, November 6, 2017

A special dinner

Last Saturday we had a special dinner with Richard Turley Jr. who is the Managing Director of Public Affairs along with another fellow who was also visiting from Salt Lake and the Area Presidency.  How cool is that? Richard Turley Jr. is from Texas and he was named after his father, Richard Turley who was a nuclear engineer, scientist and professor who later became a General Authority.

This was a very special dinner because Richard Turley used to be the Church Historian and if there is anything anyone would ever want to know about the Church History, Richard Turley Jr. is the man to ask! I couldn't believe my eyes that sitting across from us was the Richard Turley Jr. a former Managing Director of the Historical Department, Managing Director of Family History and now the Managing Director of Public Affairs. Wow!


First of all, he is an American historian and genealogist. He went to Japan on his mission, Received his B.A. in English from BYU and continued into Law School. He worked as a lawyer before his employment with the Church and now he is visiting the area giving a few devotionals.

The flyer reads:
A special Devotional with Richard Turley Jr.
Got a burning question about the Church and its history? Ask bother Turley. This is your chance to get your question answered by a Church Historian...He is a recipient of many awards including the 2013 Herbert Feis Award from the American Historical Association.

What was also special about this dinner is that I was Asked to offer the prayer to bless the food and as I felt a little nervous, I said a micro mini one second silent prayer to be calm and I all of the sudden I became amazingly calm.  This has not happened to me before because it is difficult for me to pray in any other language than Spanish but this time it was like someone else was speaking, not me. This was truly amazing. Was a blessing this was.


I had offered to make the dessert for this dinner and debated on what to bring, from a type of pie because who doesn't like pie? like apple, pumpkin, lemon, banana or pasta frola or I thought of making some Filipino mango float. I also thought about making quesadilla but mango float won and it is simply delicious! We also contributed with empanadas that Daniel made.


I feel so grateful for this special day where I got to meet one of our neighbors at City Creek who happens to be a real expert on any delicate subject and someone I would love to know even better so perhaps I'll invite him and his wife for dinner.


Con amor,

Veronica


No comments: