Thursday, January 30, 2020

In Memory of Paco

Four years ago, I learned of the death of a dear friend and cousin once removed, Francisco Flores (Paco) Sadly, when you google his name you will find all sorts of distorted twits of his character. But here is the truth I know. Paco was not a thief!
On the contrary, Paco was a good person. He was always thinking of others and doing for others. He was kind and caring. He gave all he had to the improvement of so many poor Salvadorans while he was President. I know it, I saw it with my own eyes.

The day he died was a hard day for me and our family who knew him well. He is a Flores like me. We share great-grandparents. I haven't written about him for the past few years because I needed to digest what has happened. He became ill and died from a brain hemorrhage caused by stress. Everything leading to his death is suspicious but it is what it is. The day he passed away it was too emotional of a day for me. Even as I write about him now it about kills me to think of how much his children and wife must be missing him. My heart aches when I think about not having him around to pay him one last visit.

I was in Manila all the way across the world when I got the phone call that he didn't make it. I was in shock, devastated, angry, hurt, sad, and a million other emotions all at the same time. I felt unbelievable sadness, and deep sense of loss, the loss of a good friend. Paco's death was completely unexpected. He was healthy and strong and only 56 years young. (we were the same age) we attended the same school and attended a few classes together. I remember thinking about him at our 25 year High school reunion in 2003 when he was still President of El Salvador. But today he is no longer with us, just like that, no warning.

 Paco was taken from this life and all our family is heartbroken. He needed more time to clear his name. He didn't deserve to die the way he did. Paco was was not perfect but was an incredible friend. He touched the lives of so many people he came in contact with. He was an angel in this life and I truly believe he is an angel in the next life watching over his family. He will now be their guardian angel. I wish all of you could have known the Paco I knew. 

Everyone in the world would have benefited from having him in their life. He was very optimistic so is ironic the political persecution and torment got to him. One day I hope, when his name is finally clear, people of El Salvador will realize what a great man and President he was. He was the only one who stood his ground against Fidel Castro. Paco was incarcerated like some dangerous criminal when a sentence hadn't even been pronounced. He spent time in jail for two years waiting for a fair trial but there were no proofs of any of the charges which is a total violation of human rights. The world knows El Salvador is very corrupt when it comes to dirty politics. It's so scary and so embarrassing! I detest all those people who used him and even betrayed him. I have been telling people, I have no business going back to El Salvador unless a miracle happens and El Salvador becomes a true Democracy. 

Con amor,
Vero 

No comments: