Wednesday, September 16, 2020

A tender Mercy

Thoughts on 180 days of quarantine.

 

Why did I started counting my days on quarantine? 

 

I wanted to count how many days I would be in one place without traveling because for the past 11 years, a good portion of my life has been boarding planes, staying in hotels, meeting people and visiting the areas where my husband is a director for temporal affairs for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. His work is intense and at times, I get to come along. 

 

Those travels have taken me to very interesting places in the Caribbean, the Philippines and now in South America but for the past 180 days, that is exactly six months, we have not ventured out of the City of Buenos Aires. I probably have left our apartment half a dozen times, if that, and that is a record. I have tasted a little bit what it would feel like to be on house arrest. 

 

I also love to write because that is the only way I know to feel connected with the outside world. It is difficult to find a way to share my thoughts and feelings and to share those things I have learned from people I trust as well. I want to leave a footprint of those things that matter to me the most (such as integrity, respect, going the extra mile, doing your best, etc.) This is a good way to share what people have taught me and the values I cherish. I only do an exception in writing this blog and that is, when I am away from home, I focus on the people I am with completely and take a break from writing in this blog. I am a firm believer in that you need to enjoy time with loved ones to full capacity and be present, not worried about doing other things so the blog posts will cease for a few weeks. I will be back October 10th.

 

Some days I write about my day, or scheduled events, some days I write about the lessons I have learned, some days I write about our goals as a family, some days I write about my extended family, some days I write about my personal struggles in life, and some days I write about inspirational thoughts, stories I have heard or learned. Today I am writing about a tender mercy.

 

We had purchased tickets to go to Salt Lake from September 14thto October 7thbut unbeknownst to us, we booked the flight coming back on a day Daniel had an important meeting. All meetings are done via zoom but we would be unavailable because we would be flying. This was an important trip because I had scheduled all our doctor appointments and we couldn’t cancel them. Another issue which became a blessing in disguise is that we received a call from the airline that our flight had been cancelled. We called to see when we could fly out and found seats on a flight on September 17thwhich meant that our trip would be cut short. We wanted to change the returning flight for a later date but the way we purchased the tickets did not allow for changes. But as I was talking to Mandy telling her of my dilemma she mentioned that if they change our inbound flight they were cutting my trip short so they should be able to change our return. I had not thought about that so I called them immediately and convinced the agent to please see what she could do to help us and she did. She changed our return for a later date so that Daniel could attend his important meeting. Thank you! 

 

I don’t ever want to ever forget this tender mercy, and so, the blog has become a way of putting those experiences down the only way I can communicate effectively to the entire family to keep everyone in the loop and on the same page. “In life, you will realize that there is a purpose for everyone you meet. Some will test you, some will use you, and some will teach you. But most importantly… some will bring out the best in you.” My hope is that my family will be those people who bring out the best in each other.  

 

Con amor,

Vero

No comments: