Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Let's control the controllables

Thoughts on 167 days of quarantine. 

 

I am sharing thoughts I received via email from Brooke Snow. 

 

"Not much has changed. And yet everything has changed. 

 

Reality has changed. 

 

There is a different energy and feeling about the world.  And for me, I have felt a heaviness.

 

I know I can keep moving forward, but it feels like it takes far more effort than it did before.

 

Have you felt this way?

Has your life been impacted in any way the last 5 months?

 

Many things are out of my control...

 

I can't control the economy. 

I can't control inflation and price gauging and the supply chain.  

I can't control the laws and mandates and policies. 

I can't control other people and how they respond to life around them. 

I can't control the media. 

I can't control society. 

I can't control what other people believe or how they respond to these events. 

 

These all influence my life, and they are also all out of my control.

 

The feeling of not being in control can trigger feelings of anxiety, panic, and fear.  

 

If you have felt any of these feelings this year, then you'll love this weeks podcast. 

 

We're focusing on what IS in your control, and most especially the things in your control that have the greatest impact on helping you feel strong, confident, and prepared for any uncertainty that may arise.  

 

Life does not have to feel out of control when you "Control the Controllables".

 

Here is the good news...

 

When we focus on the things we DO have control over in our life, we feel more in control of life.

 

What do we have control over?

 

The fundamentals:

 

Eat.

Move.

Sleep.

Breathe.

Be Present.

Be Grateful.

Be Prosperous.

 

The fundamentals are the essence of self care.

 

One of my favorite quotes is from sleep expert, Matthew Walker. He says,

 

"The bridge between despair and hope is a good nights sleep."

 

The irony, is when life gets harder, we often let go of the exact thing that will help us.  

 

We let go of the fundamentals...

 

When life gets harder we can easily justify staying up late, staying plugged in, and eating more junk food.

When life gets harder, we may stop moving our body because we say we don't have time or don't feel like it. 

When life gets harder we may neglect prayer or scripture study in favor of other distractions.

 

It's a downward spiral. 

 

My coach, Brian Johnson, repeatedly tells us, "The worse you feel, the more committed you are to the protocol!"

 

What is the protocol?

 

The fundamentals...

 

The small and simple things in our control that totally transform how we show up to the world.

 

Let's control the controllables

 

And I could not agree more.

 

Con amor,

Vero

No comments: