Thursday, September 3, 2020

While I was Sleeping

 

Thoughts on 168 days of quarantine.

 

Today I came across this photo of Ruby as a good reminder of how blessed we are. I remember that day vividly. We had just moved to a home in the Philippines. Boxes still everywhere, when all the sudden I woke up, I felt something was not right but couldn’t put my finger on it. I reached for my phone and saw the text: “She is here!” What? No way, I thought, it’s too soon.  


When you live on the other side of the world it seems that everything happens while you were sleeping. I felt a knot on my stomach angot on my knees. You see, Ruby was born ten weeks premature. I asked for a miracle knowing deep in my heart that whatever happened, we would be fine. I needed to feel peace and that is what I felt. 


I wanted to travel to the United States as soon as possible. The long journey from Manila to Hong Kong, to Dallas to Salt Lake City to Boise Idaho felt like it took forever. Two days to be exact. I remember walking into the ICU room and saw Ruby in an incubator. I don’t know why I had the illusion that I could hold her in my arms but no. She was so fragile and at times she even stopped breathing and that is when the bells on the machine would go off. 

 

That was a scary time in the lives of our family, I can’t even imagine the big surprise for our dear daughter and her husband. Their first born came so unexpectedly. We were all praying for a miracle. Today when I see Ruby playing with her friends and siblings, I feel tremendously blessed for all the good in my life. I have to give a special shout out to my beautiful granddaughter Ruby. Five years ago, she came into our lives to make this world a better place, and our family couldn’t love her more. Life is indeed amazing and beautiful because our sweet Ruby is in it. Happy birthday princess! 

 

Con amor,

Mami Vero 

No comments: