Thursday, October 16, 2014

5 year ago today...

This was my post on facebook:
 5 years ago today I became the luckiest girl when Daniel R. de Almeida said yes at the altar. I've been trying my hardest to make this amazing guy glad he made that choice! My husband is the light and joy of my life and the best friend I've ever had. Daniel, you are my inspiration, my motivation, and I am in awe of you every day. Thanks to our many friends, from around the globe. And special thanks to our kids, who have managed to turned out wonderful in spite of us. You make our lives so amazing and incredible!! Thanks for being such a great example not only to our children and grandchildren but to everyone you meet. Happy Anniversary my love! You are my anchor when the world is spinning, my biggest cheerleader and my best friend!! I love you more today than yesterday, and I will love you forever my darling!!! Here's to eternity! Thank you for being my husband FOREVER!!!!


I love when I am invited to weddings because it is one of the most thrilling things you can do in this life. To find the one! That one person who will want to be with you forever in the good times and the bad times in sickness and in health is indeed the biggest blessing. Psychologists suggest that the manner in which couples argue indicates the health and longevity of  their relationship, and go so far to say that those who don't fight at all may be in the worst shape of anyone. Jonathan Franzen said it best " Self expressing adults are bound to band heads at some point, and if they don't, it means that there is likely a lot of unhappy repression going on. Those are the kind of couples where everything seems fine for years, and then one morning, without any warning, one partner pushes the other down and empty grain silo from a great height. It's usually caused by something very small; according to the statistics, an annoying habit regarding socks."


Rabbi David Cooper and author of God is a verb uses the fast forward method: " Since I know we are going to get over it eventually, and be friends again, whether it be in three hours of three weeks, why wait? I just mentally fast forward to the end of the fight and get there sooner. I have it down to about three minutes now. If I'm really paying close attention to the trajectory of the conversation, I can sometimes catch it in under three seconds. No matter who is wrong or at fault, our agreement is that I will apologize. Which I do fairly quickly, and it works! She is tickled pink, thinking she won, and everyone is happy. Those are the things that keep us together, and they are precisely the type of things that don't necessarily show up in psychologists John Gottman's famous "love lab" Gottman is the marital studies guy who claims to be able to predict with 88-94% accuracy the future of a relationship within three minutes of listening to a couple bicker in his lab. I read all his books and completely enjoyed them!

No comments: