Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Be self reliant

Today and for the next three days I get to be by myself. Something I do often since my husband has to travel to various islands in the Caribbean. This time he is going to visit the Cayman Islands. I only have heard good things about that island so I am sure it will all go well but you always pray for things to go smooth. I guess Daniel needs to implement a few changes taking place in regard to the growth of the Church. It looks to me that more and more is important for people to become self-reliant and is the topic I will be teaching next time I meet with my students. I was so fortunate to meet a wonderful man who came to the DR to give a seminar on the topic his name is Mike Murray. He is a man I got to know while he was here and who I have great respect. Mile Murray spoke at a devotional for young adults. He had an amazing career. He explained to us how when he attended Standford one day a fellow came to talk to the students. He was Steve Jobs. He later found himself reporting directly to Steve Jobs at Apple Computers in his mid 20s as the head of the marketing for the Micintosh. Another woman who knows Mike also wrote this about him:
" Mike joined Microsoft in 1989 reporting directly to Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer.  He spent 10 years at Microsoft during a 10 year span when the company’s stock grew 40% year over year for the entire 10 year span.  Mike walked away from Microsoft having made significant money off his stock options.  Mike could have chosen to do anything with his money, but what he chose was to dedicate his money and his time to serving others through his charity work.  One of the charities Mike founded is called Unitus which helps increase access to microloans throughout India, Africa and other areas with a need in order to help people find a pathway to self-reliance.  Through his efforts he has been able to affect the lives of hundreds of thousands if not millions of people throughout the world.


The best part about Mike Murray is the fact that if you were to meet him on the street knowing nothing at all about his incredible success you would literally think you had met one of the kindest, most gentle hearted, humble, and unassuming men out there.  He shows no sign of arrogance or entitlement.  Mike acknowledges that he worked hard for many years to achieve the financial success he achieved, but he then immediately points out that he knows many people who have worked just as hard as he did yet did not get financially blessed the way he did.  You can tell that it genuinely bothers Mike that everyone who works hard doesn’t have the same financial rewards as him and he has now dedicated his life to helping everyone he can to achieve financial success too.


Mike is generous beyond belief. He is thoughtful and authentic and you can feel of his sincerity for helping others – not for the sake of gaining accolades or attention for himself, you can quickly see how uncomfortable that makes him – no, Mike does it solely for the purpose of doing all he can to help others succeed.  He is an amazing example for all of us." Amy Anderson
 I feel blessed I had the chance to eat dinner with Mike Murray and elder Gay. I am a better person because I know them. They are very inspiring! I had the chance to be at some training they did where I was their translator. How lucky to know good people like Mike Murray and elder Gay and to learn from his example of how to make this world a better place by using our talents, resources and time. Their visit to the DR and their example is one I will always cherish.




 





No comments: