Thursday, October 23, 2014

Zumba dancing and more!

There are many ways to get in shape and probably Zumba is not the best but I love it. Dancing has been one of those things our family is known for. In El Salvador I remember that every single celebration whether is a wedding, x-mas party, graduation or a simple birthday will include dancing. So naturally I am all ready to zumba every time I get the chance and here in the Domincan Republic I get to attend a session every night. Monday to Friday one starts at 6:00 pm and the other at 7:00 pm If we ever move which I am sure it will happen eventually, the Zumba class is one of those things I will truly miss. Today I want to start a new goal. And given that sharing it with all of you will up my chances of success by 33% since “Research recently conducted by [Dr. Gail] Matthews shows that people who wrote down their goals, shared this information with a friend, and sent weekly updates to that friend were on average 33% more successful in accomplishing their stated goals than those who merely formulated goals.”
I figured why not? So here goes:
My entire life I have been an unhealthy eater or have had diet issues because I am fat. Which is ironic because I HATE to eat things that are bad for me like McDonald’s or any fast foods Yuck! but I love all kinds of sugary candy and anything sweet….LOVE TO  EAT, PERIOD!).


 I am addicted to anything starchy like bread and juice drinks or those energy drinks. I go through  periods of overeating food to the opposite end of the spectrum where I crash diet. I desperately want to get healthy and lose at least twenty pounds before I go back to El Salvador for my nieces High School graduation next Summer. El Salvador is my home and want to be able to eat Pupusas while I ma there and not feel guilty.  That is my goal. But this time I want to lose weight the right way. I want to do it in a way that is healthy and good for my body rather than starving myself or doing some crazy fad diet. And so I set a goal for myself to get healthy and lose a few pounds before the Holidays hits and today was day one! I decided it was time for me to really invest in my own health and to hire a professional trainer to help me achieve my goal because I feel like I don’t have enough knowledge of what to do on my own, so I am admitting my weakness and bringing someone on board that can help me be better.


He is preparing my rigorous training for me besides going to Zumba in the evenings when I can. And teaching me how to eat right and in a healthy way. I am so excited to be doing this. As hard as I know it will be to completely change my eating habits, and as much as I am afraid of having to give up my emotional addiction to my chocolate cravings, I desperately want to be healthy and to feel and look good. As I am getting older I want to be smart and treat my body with the respect my body deserves. I can’t take my health for granted anymore. I have to invest in my good health. Lately I have felt pain on my knees and back. That is not good because it's a sign that I am putting too much pressure or weight on my joints and bones. I also have to be so careful to not get diabetes. It runs in my family and my doctor advice me to lose the weight around my tummy. I also got a condition with my thyroid that has slowed  my metabolism and it is only going to get slower. Welcome to menopause!


So there it is – now all of you know about my goal and I am now accountable to all of you to achieve it. PRESSSURE! But it is good pressure because it will really force me to live up to it so I don’t let any of you down. And now I would challenge every one of you to pick a goal and go share it with other people today – hold yourself to it – it’s exciting!! It’s a new adventure!! Try it!!
According to another woman who wrote on her blog: " Goal setting is one of the things I am the most passionate about in life. It started when I was just a young girl. My father would hold a monthly one on one meeting with each child and in that meeting he would ask us to tell him our goals for that month. He would then write them down on a card and hang onto that list until the next month’s meeting where he would pull out the card and ask us if we had accomplished our goal. That exercise he did with us really taught me the habit of goal setting, writing it down, and sharing it with someone – in this case, my father – so that I had someone to be accountable to." Amy Anderson


I have let my husband, sisters and the girls know of my goal. I am also going to start a program via internet that Cristi is doing on line and I will work on a detox diet as well from a book Bianca gave me. I am going to weigh in every week to see my progress and I will keep you posted. Today Daniel took my before picture and hope that my mother's day, on May 10th I can share my after picture with all of you out there. Cheers to a new Vero in 2015!!

No comments: