Monday, February 20, 2017

Why I love Mondays?

2/20/17
Why I love Mondays!

I want to start today’s message with an explanation as to what this weekly letter is and the background on why it came about…

 After serving in the Caribbean area for over five years, moving even farther away to the Philippines was hard. (because the Caribbean was only 2 to 3 hours ahead vs. 14 to 15 hours and only a day of travel vs. two days) we struggled to find a way to stay in touch with all of the family but with the time difference the more difficult it became. And not only that but, it was difficult for me personally to feel connected to all of the children, sisters and my mom living in all parts of the world. I could also sense how difficult it was for the children and extended family to feel connected to us too so one day I got the idea of why don’t I write you an email each Monday the same way missionaries do? And this is why I love Mondays!

 Communication can be very tricky when you are so far away.  I am very close to my mom and sisters too. I include them in each letter as well.  I write these letters to the women in our family for the most part because I can relate better as a woman to another woman. “De mujer a mujer” I only had sisters and only gave birth to daughters. I believe that as women we have a vision for where we want to take our family. It was also difficult to find a way to share the values that I and Daniel stood for and the values we want our children and grandchildren to stand for (such as integrity, respect, going the extra mile, etc.), and so I made the decision that I would start writing a weekly Monday letter to our girls while we are away on this adventure and thus it began.

 I write you a letter every Monday except when we are on vacation. Some days I write about my schedule of events or Daniel’s work, some days I write about the lessons I am learning as an expat, some days I write about our goals as a family, some days I write about my extended family, some days I write about our personal struggles in life, and some days I share inspirational things I have heard or learned. This week Elder Bednar in in town so guess what I’ll be writing about next Monday?

Some days, if you’re really lucky, you might get to read a message from my 20 year- old niece, Paola, who happens to write the most uplifting messages from her mission to Brazil. I love reading her messages the most. (She writes them each Monday in Spanish mixed with some Portuguese.) You never know if the message will be a fun story, an inspirational thought, or really important update about her mission as each one is a little different. 

And so this letter has become the only way I can communicate effectively to the entire clan to keep everyone in the loop and on the same page. In addition, I want my grandchildren to know exactly what the core values are and what matters to me and Daniel as their grandparents. I hope to turn these letters into a book- form for them to have as a keepsake.

 I can honestly say that the impact of writing a weekly letter message to the family has by far been the most rewarding thing each Monday. It allows me to count my blessings, which has been a great lesson for me to learn. Today I was thinking of the pros and the cons of a busy crowded city life vs. the small town life because  you don’t know what bad traffic is like until you live in Manila! Daniel drove me home today after I went visiting teaching and one mile can mean one hour. The Traffic is a nightmare! you pray you get to your destination without any harm or accident. Compare to going for a drive in a small town where it’s recommended as a way to relax and for treatment of anxiety.

 I have learned so much from observing the changes that have been taking place where we live compare to other places since I started writing these letters. “In life you will realize that there is a purpose for everyone you meet. Some will test you, some will use you, and some will teach you. But most importantly…some will bring out the best in you.” Our hope and our goal as a family and extended family is that all of us will be those who bring out the best in each other. I hope that you will feel more connected as I try to keep everyone in the loop and everyone on the same page. I love to find out also everything going on each day for you too. Know that we love you and miss you.

Con amor,
Vero


 

No comments: