Tuesday, May 30, 2017

My most precious possession

Yesterday, I renewed my most precious possession. My temple recommend and got to go inside the Manila
temple for a session. 

While I was there I felt the need to count my many blessings...

One of my favorite hymns is Count Your Blessings.
“When up on life’s billows you are tempest tossed,
When you are discouraged thinking all is lost,
Count your many blessings
Name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord has done…

This past weekend I was able to listen to numerous talks that were given by extraordinary men and women on a myriad of different subjects. I teach in Relief Society every fourth Sunday of the month so I am always listening to talks.  One of my favorites was a talk about taking inventory of the blessings that have come into our lives:

“As I have reviewed the past many years, I have made some discoveries. One is that countless experiences I have had were not necessarily those one would consider extraordinary. In fact, at the time they transpired, they often seemed unremarkable and even ordinary. And yet, in retrospect, they enriched and blessed lives—not the least of which was my own. I would recommend this same exercise to you—namely, that you take an inventory of your life and look specifically for the blessings, large and small, you have received.”   -Thomas S. Monson

What a great idea!  Taking an inventory of the blessings we have received in our life to date.  I was given a notebook at the beginning of the year to find a quiet place to sit and start writing down all of the blessings that I can think of that have ever come into my life where I saw the hand of the Lord.   I have been writing in it each day.

  My goal is to literally flood the pages with the lists of blessings I can recall.  I want to capture all of them, even the smallest blessing of finding something I have lost after saying a prayer, to meeting certain people, to having certain opportunities, to the miracles that I have had come into my life.  I am really excited to do this exercise this year and I am going to report back to you on how it goes.    My mind has already begun racing with memories even just in my planning to write it down this week.  It is amazing the things I have begun to notice were blessings when I first decided to start thinking about it. 

 I would challenge all of you reading this to make the same notebook this week.  And when you finish it, maybe take some of the most meaningful items from the lists and make little notecards that you can write one on each card to hang them on your cubicle at work or tape them to your mirror at home, or put them somewhere that you when viewed they can give you a pick me up to help you stay grateful and focused on all of life’s blessings.

Life truly is a blessing.  I stand in awe at the many blessings I have been given over the years:  my family, my friends, my life lessons…so much to be grateful for and so many more blessings still to come.

“A good life is when you smile often, dream big, laugh a lot and realize how blessed you are for what you have.”   -unknown

 Smile today, dream big, laugh a lot, and realize you are so blessed!  It is always a great day when I get to go to the temple! 

Con amor,
Vero



No comments: