Monday, January 24, 2022

A not so Coincidence Day

I write this blog as a way of keeping a record about the lessons I am learning each day in my life.  Those who know me well know that I also don’t believe in coincidences in life. Rather, I firmly believe that most things happen for a reason. So, the events of today led me to believe that I should write today’s blog about visas and technology I know that sounds odd, but I can explain:

 

I was invited several years ago to serve as the Honorary Consul of El Salvador in Utah.  I didn’t have to think twice about whether to say yes to the request as I had been agonizing over many days when I saw on the news how a devastating earthquake had buried a whole neighborhood in Santa Tecla, the very place of my birth. Which makes the cause of assisting my fellow Salvadorans something near and dear to my heart.  For those of you who are not as familiar with Honorary Consuls, it is done “ad honorem” or without pay. You simply volunteer your time and resources to help your countrymen. and I am honored to be able to help support such a worthy cause that helps so many living in Utah from my homeland. 

 

So, this afternoon I happened to be having lunch with a friend I will call Patty and before that, I was taking to someone else who needs to get her residence visa to live in Buenos Aires. It just so happened that my friend Patty could help the other friend with her visa issue, Coincidence? Doubtful. So, I decided the reason must be that I was supposed to have lunch with my Patty precisely the day my other friend needed her help. I also found someone who can help me navigate social media. I have decided to hang out with people in their thirties more often to get savvy on technology the way they are. If I only hang out with women my age, I will never learn. 

 

Look, I am going to be open about the fact that I hate to have to learn things that seemed hard and I don’t often use the word hate but it is what it is. Nothing against Technology but it changes so much and so fast; by the time I am done learning how to navigate something it has become obsolete.  I have pretty much done anything to avoid having to deal with the new technology and by that, I mean to say that I have turned that over to my husband Daniel to handle it, including how to work the T.V. sad to say, I don’t have a clue. When he is out of town I can’t turn on the TV because I don’t know how to find the channels. I can’t stand the programing all the remotes entailed.  So yeah, I hate the whole experience, I even hate it when I am baby- sitting the grandkids and the parents say, just put on a show. But I sheepishly think to myself, but, but, I don’t know how? 

 

But the fact is that I am now 62 years old and have discovered that yes, you can teach an old dog new tricks. I will ask Patty to teach me and I hope as one of my new year resolutions goals is to become less technology challenged. 

 

Con amor,

Vero

No comments: