Monday, January 10, 2022

Looking at the Old testament with Different Lens

Hope you are enjoying reading the Old Testament. Yesterday I was asked to teach in the Primary kids who were five and six and how I love teaching that age. I could picture our grandbabies in my class and had so much fun talking about the creation. 

 

In my study last week, I went deeper than what has been written in Genesis. Things like on “Day One” (Light) We need to establish Christ as the source for light wherefore we can distinguish between light and darkness. On “Day Two” (Firmament) decide which outside influence should be invited and which should be kept out. What is from above and what is from beneath? On “Day Three” (Land, sea and plants) distinguish between shifty cultural currents and solid gospel ground. Seek life and growth but stay rooted and grounded. On “Day Four” (Sun, moon and stars) Order and arrange my life and distinguish between greater and lesser influences between good, better and best! On “Day Five” (Sea creatures and bird) Spread your wings and explore more options. On “Day Six” (Land animals and humans) Learn my limits but at the same time work hard at developing divine potential. On “Day Seven” (Sabbath) Separate work and rest. Give God His due and take time to be holy. 


This was taken from Mary Osmond fun page: "I have started this new year studying the Old Testament again. Even though I have read the beautiful stories from the Bible many times over the years, I find I gain a deeper understanding each time I do. Instead of taking the stories literally, like a world being created, I think of what God is trying to create in me. So this time I am applying a more symbolic way to learn what Father in Heaven is trying to teach me. Symbolism is God’s teaching language. It’s how one story can teach many different principles to us… depending on what we need spiritually at that particular time in our life. 


For example, in the creation story, we can read it simply as a world being made. But this past week the impressions I have felt are how God can make something magnificent out of something unorganized… including us! This has brought me so much peace, especially now as our world seems to be filled with more and more chaos. So I thought this Sunday I would share a few of my personal impressions. 


In Genesis ​​​1:2-3 it says: “And the earth was without ​​​form​, and void; and ​​​darkness​ ​was​ upon the face of the deep. And the ​​​Spirit​ of God ​​​moved​ upon the face of the waters. And God ​​​said​, Let there be ​​​light​: and there was light.” 

 

God commanded the elements and they obeyed. As I pondered this symbolically, when we obey God’s word or commandments (like the elements did), we can be transformed into the beautiful creations we were meant to be.

Another point I felt impressed about is when God calls the things He made “good.” What this suggested to me is how we should treat all God’s creations. They are good… ALL He created, including ourselves! Why is it important to know that we were created in God’s image and that we are good? How does this affect the way we feel about ourselves, others, and God? I like to take thoughts like these and try to visualize them. If I walked with the Savior long enough, I believe I would learn to see everyone as Christ sees them. He sees them with limitless potential, regardless of what their past may have been. And as I continue to symbolically walk with the Savior daily, I strive to develop that gift also, to see that beautiful potential in all of us. Do you agree?

With the Savior’s help, we can move from the darkness we encounter to a brighter light within us. We can learn to separate those things that don’t bring us joy and growth and dissipate the darkness by moving our souls to seek light. I also believe that light is always symbolic of the Savior!

 

Another part of the creation story that has always fascinated me is how God knows Adam and Eve will make mistakes. Before Eve is tempted, God knew this would happen and was ready with a solution. The solution to the fall in the Garden of Eden… is Jesus Christ. The solution to every time I fall… is Jesus Christ. That sounds like an easy answer, so how?  How is He the answer? Each time I try to make myself the center of the problem I cannot see the solution. By being the center, I mean using words like, “I’m angry, I’m sad, I’m confused, and I’m depressed.” When I change my language from “poor me” and choose instead to focus on what God wants me to see, I start to think… “what am I to learn from this or who can I help or assist today?” Then I begin to see the solutions I need. When I get outside myself and put my problems and comforts aside, I start to see the world a little closer to how I believe the Savior does. When I offer up my strengths for the Lord to use, I feel my weaknesses become strengthened. 

 

Over the years, I have learned God isn’t as concerned about the mistakes I make as much as He is interested in how I will react afterward. Like any loving parent, our Father in Heaven doesn’t want us to dwell on what we have done wrong, that’s stagnation. But rather He would like us to humble ourselves and ask for His help to fix them. When we organize ourselves (as the elements did) and move from our darknesses to finding the light, God will provide help to all who come unto Him. And like mother Eve said, “Is there no other way?”, there really isn’t!  The Lord will surely bless us with knowledge to dissipate the darkness so we can heal, become wiser and more whole. 

 

God can always make something magnificent out of things unorganized, He will always create form from void and darkness into light. No matter what life will bring, He will always help us amidst life’s storms to create a solution and become better than we could ever be on our own! All He asks is that we follow Him!" A second every word she said. 

 

Today, we are grateful for the opportunity we will have again tomorrow to go to the temple. It has been a long time since we were able to go. Starting tomorrow, we will be going along with the Area Presidency every second Tuesday of the month. 

 

With love,

Vero and Daniel 

 

No comments: