Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Rental Fiasco

I purchased two units in the 99 West building. Unit 502 and before that unit 1705 where Elder Carl B Cook rented from me and would like to do it again. 

 

The only problem is that a fellow who signed a lease last week never told me that he was bringing "two service animals" to the 1 bedroom small apartment and I am deathly allergic to animals. 

 

The apartment comes fully furnished with heirlooms and property that would be damaged which I know will cost me a lot of time and money. 

 

According to the Utah Legal Services landlords and the Fair Housing Act if the landlord owns fewer than 4 rental units and does not use a broker or agent, then the landlord does not have to follow the Fair Housing Act and I think I fall under that category. 

 

The HOA does not allow animals of any kind in the building and that would change the nature of the housing services that I provide. It would not be fair for the neighbors but he is threatening me with Discrimination based on his "disability" 

 

Chris Corroon, who sold me the units, reached out to Tory Christensen at Kirton and Mcconkie to see if they could terminate the lease based on misrepresentation by the tenant. 

 

What a nightmare. I have not slept or even had any appetite for two days. 


I am praying that his heart will soften and that he can walk away from the lease agreement. I kick myself from signing the lease since it was not necessary to have done it but its too late now. How I wish I could go back in time and have done things differently. 


Con amor,

Vero

 

No comments: