Friday, March 11, 2022

Ukraine

No one up to two weeks ago, cared about Ukraine because it was not in anyone’s radar but today it’s all what people are talking about. 

 

Here is what someone who has lived in Ukraine shared. “As promised....here is my first post on Ukraine.

 

Ukraine has a long, troubled, and difficult history. It is worth taking some time to read about their history through the centuries.

 

After World War II, the “iron curtain” was erected to separate Western Europe from Soviet-controlled Eastern Europe. The Soviets wanted to separate itself and the areas they controlled from the contact and influence of the west. In 1991, the Cold War ended and the one-party control of Eastern Europe by the communist party ended. Since that time, Ukraine has sought more western influence, while Russia has continued to isolate themselves and some have attempted to reconstruct the larger Soviet empire as to not leave them isolated.

 

In July 1990, the parliament of Ukraine passed a declaration of sovereignty and on August 24th, 1991, Ukraine was declared independent from the Soviet Union. In December of 1991, Leonard Kravchuk was elected the first president of Ukraine.

 

I was called to serve as a full-time missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on January 23, 1992. My original assignment was to the Austria Vienna East Mission to “labor in Russia.” A copy of the call from Ezra Taft Benson is attached. Also attached is the map of the mission boundaries (which is massive) and a letter from my mission president that stated that Ukraine was “a great country where the Church is in its infancy.” The letter goes on to say that in addition to Ukraine, “our mission also presently includes the Republic of Byelorussia and parts of the Russian Republic south of Moscow.”

 

On July 21, 1992, after two months of intensive language training, I arrived in Kyiv. My first journal entry there has many thoughts including how much the Dnieper River flowing through the city impacted me. “It is large and very beautiful and adds so much character to Kyiv.” 

 

The first four months of my mission were in the northern part of Kyiv known as Vinogrador and Obolon. I have heard those areas mentioned in the news reports as fighting continues in those areas. Seeing streets that I walked and areas that I lived in piled in rubble brings tears to my eyes for the people who treated me so kindly. Whether they were receptive to the message I was there to share, or not, they were family-oriented, hardworking, generous, and kind people.

 

On July 29, 1992, I wrote, “I have been wondering since I got my mission assignment in January if communism could make a comeback here? But, even after only a few days here, I can tell you that the more people I talk to, the more I realize how little desire they have for that or to be affiliated with Russia. They value their freedom and independence.”

 

On August 24, 1992, I wrote in my journal, “Today is Ukrainian Independence Day. It is a big holiday because it is such a young, independent country. It has only been a little while since it broke its ties with the Soviet Union and Russia. The people are very proud of their own culture and history. I think they love it so much because they know that there are Russian loyalists who want to try to control Ukraine. They are also very proud of it because they have waited so long for freedom and the chance to act independently. Being downtown Kyiv today on Kreshatik (the most famous and busiest street in the city) today really helped me grow closer to the Ukrainians. Watching people wave the blue and yellow flags made me realize how long they have been waiting to be free. The people look so sharp in their Ukrainian skirts, shirts, pants, boots, etc. It made me see a part of them that I haven’t known. Even though life is difficult here now as they transition, their spirits were so high today. They all remembered why the times are hard now, that they will be worth it in the long run.”

 

May God bless the Ukrainian people who are fleeing for their lives and those who are standing firm to fight for their freedom. I know how much it means to them. If anyone knows how important freedom is and how much it is worth fighting for, it is them. 

I proudly stand with Ukraine.”

 

And to think that Mitt Romney was criticized for insinuating this sort of atrocities could come about by Russia, it’s sad.

 

Con amor,

Vero

No comments: