Monday, January 22, 2018

An uninvited guest.

Sometimes it seems as if life is one big celebration after another. We were just 
celebrating my birthday and now we are celebrating Daniel’s and for this day we had invited a missionary couple who are ending their mission along with our neighbors, the Haynies.

We of course prepared enough food to feed an army and all enough to melt the heart of any of us on a diet. And for the icing on the cake, we bought our favorite cake. “Grandma’s cake,” lovingly named because its tender qualities with our favorite two main ingredients: chocolate and dulce de leche filling. 

The cake for all we know could be sautéed rubber, but if they contained any chocolate and dulce de leche, we would lick the platter clean.  In our family, at every occasion, be a wedding or birthday a nice cake is always present so right at this precise moment after singing Happy birthday and the candles were blown I remembered I needed to give our guest a thank you card and a gift. I always give our missionary couples before they leave one of Bianca’s CD’s so that they can take a “part of me” with them. 

I excused myself and went to the other room to finish wrapping the gift when Deb Haynie comes into the room where I was to ask if I had a fly swatter because she had seen a cockroach roaming in my kitchen. We went looking for it but couldn’t find it and maybe we thought it probably had gotten underneath the fridge so we went back to the dining room and sat at our table to finish our dessert when suddenly, I see something moving behind the curtain by where we had put all the food and for me to actually be able to see it was because it must have been a pretty big bug so I got up quickly and removed the food from where we had it to the island in the kitchen. 

At this point as Deb was helping me get the food out of our dining area, I told her that after people had gone home I would take care of the bug but just as we had made that agreement, her husband yells: “there is a cockroach coming down the curtain!” 

Daniel gets up to find some baygon and I went to keep my eyes fixed on the thing waiting for Daniel but Deb gets brave and simply takes off her shoe and smashes it right on the wall and that is when I thought, what are the odds that we would see a cockroach right in the middle of eating dinner and not just any dinner but one when we have guests? 

We had seen those bugs when we first moved in but the pest control people took care of them and it had been months and maybe over a year since we had not seen any so this past 63rd birthday for Daniel will be remembered by the uninvited guest who showed up when we least expected.

Moral of the story, for those people out there complaining about the below freezing weather, I can only say, THE COLDER THE BETTER!  Because in a warm climate you can ignore it, fight it, suppress it, or wish it away but eventually those roaches will find their way. I thought I would never say this about cold climates but I like the fact that you don’t see cockroaches in cold climates and for that you should be soooooo grateful! 

Con amor,
Vero

No comments: