Sunday, January 28, 2018

The Sabbath is a Delight

The Sabbath is a Delight! By President Nelson

Today I was asked to teach on the subject of the Sabbath and one thing I did in the class was to make a few quiz questions to people to answer. This were those questions and answers. 

1. What is the meaning of the word Sabbath in Hebrew?
“In Hebrew, the word Sabbath means rest. The purpose of the Sabbath dates back to the creation of the world, when after six days of labor the Lord rested from the work of creation. When He later revealed the Ten Commandments to Moses, God command that we remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.”

2. What question does President Nelson askes himself when keeping the Sabbath? 
  “I learned from the scriptures that my conduct and my attitude on the Sabbath constituted a sign between me and my Heavenly Father. With that understanding, I no longer needed lists of dos and don’ts. When I had to make a decision whether or not an activity was appropriate for the Sabbath, I simply asked myself, 'What sign do I want to give to God?' That question made my choices about the Sabbath day crystal clear”

3. What other activities would help to make the Sabbath a delight for you? 
‘The Sabbath provides a wonderful opportunity to strengthen family ties. After all God wants each of us, as  his children, to return to him as endowed Saints, sealed in the temple as families to our ancestors and to our posterity.”

4. What did President Nelson asked parents to do?
"We call upon parents to devote their best efforts to the teaching and rearing of their children in gospel principles which will keep them close to the Church. The home is the basis of a righteous life, and no other instrumentality can take its place or fulfill its essential functions in carrying forward this God-given responsibility.”

5.  Fill in the blanks: “Not pursuing your ----------- ----------- on the Sabbath requires self -discipline. 
  "Not pursuing your “own pleasure” on the Sabbath requires self-discipline. If you choose to delight yourself in the Lord, you will not permit yourself to treat it as any other day. Routine and recreational activities can be done some other time."

6. What is the connection between tithing and keeping the Sabbath? 
  “Think of this: In paying tithing, we return one-tenth of our increase to the Lord. In keeping the Sabbath holy, we reserve one day in seven as His. So it is our privilege to consecrate both money and time to Him who lends us life each day (Mosiah 2:21). Faith in God engenders a love for the Sabbath; faith in the Sabbath engenders a love for God. A sacred Sabbath truly is a delight.”

I am so thankful that I got to teach this class because when I was growing up, keeping the Sabbath was not a practice in my home since my parents were not members. If I ever attended Church was  because some other relative took me and for that I am thankful for extended family who cared about me.  The Catholics I knew never went to Church so to me that was normal. Today, finally I understand how important it is to never miss a Sunday and to keep the Sabbath day Holy. 

Con amor,
Vero





No comments: