Monday, January 29, 2018

President Nelson

 As you all know, President Russell M. Nelson has been called to serve as the new Prophet for the Church. He has been prepared and tutored by the Lord to lead us at this critical time in the history of the world and Daniel has been so privileged to have known him over many years. 

Elder Nelson came to Brazil at a painful time in Daniel's personal life and as Daniel was trying to explain the situation, President Nelson simply said: “Daniel, the power of Satan is real.” That is a phrase Daniel has never forgotten. And President Nelson was so sweet as to offer to give him a blessing and everything in that blessing has come to pass. President Nelson has a genuine love and concern for people everywhere, in every continent, young and old. 

When we lived in the Dominican Republic, he came to do an area review and told the Area Presidency how he appreciated Daniel. He said: “It takes years (emphasis in years) to build a person like Daniel. The cooperate knowledge in this man’s head is extensive.” When he came to visit, I translated for sister Nelson and even have a handwritten note from her. I learned so much from both, as a couple and a blended family. President Nelson spoke about teaching and loving our children and creating a happy home. (He had 9 girls and 1 boy.) The Nelson’s still hold monthly family home evenings with their very large family. Sister Nelson talked about all the many years she was a single woman and to not be contentious even with contentious people, speaking kindly, commending others in public, how important the first few minutes are with someone and repeating words of love often. 

And two years ago, when he came to the Philippines, he gave a devotional at the office on tithing as an act of faith, not money and as he concluded that meeting with the employees he ended his talk by saying: “I want to tell you something about Daniel Almeida, I love this man.! Everywhere I go, he is there He is always striving to improve anything he does He is the quintessential administrator and leader. Please take advantage of the opportunity of having him here At times, I might even see him in our home ward in Bountiful” He is the best!” Wow, when he said that, I felt so much joy in my heart because it came from a truly remarkable man. We are so amazed at his energy level. Last year alone, he visited 16 countries and 11 states. 

Whenever we have attended the Elk Hollow ward in Bountiful and he happens to speak each time there has been such a beautiful and uplifting spirit in that meeting and I love listening to his voice. Last year I gave the lesson in Relief Society on his talk “A plea to my sisters.” And yesterday and for the next three months I have been asked to teach about the Sabbath day and his talk on April 2015 Sabbath day as a Delight is one I highly recommend listening to it again and again and to study and take notes. 

His daughter wrote that in one occasion, her father was asked to respond to an award he had received and to do it in 30 seconds or less so when he stood he simply said: 

“Our God is my maker,
Parents dear are my guide.
An angel wife, my true love,
Children choice are my pride.
The Lord is my light.
His endless truth, my law.
My joy is in service to others.
My message is, my life.” 

I encourage you to read more about his life on the Church web page to get acquainted with him a little better.

Con amor,

Vero

No comments: