Thursday, June 18, 2020

Scripture Power

Thoughts on 91 days on quarantine.

I wil never forget over 39 years ago, the only advice I was given by my Stake President, Brian Swinton was to remember to always find time to read the scriptures.

He said: "The scriptures gives you balance in a more and more cynical harsh world. It keeps you grounded. They answer those hard life questions. It will help your marriage navigate through the troubled times."

Did I take that advice to heart? I am afraid I did not, and for that, I paid the price. All I can say is that when there is a will, there is a way if we only care about enough to just do it!

Scripture study is an absolute must! Prayer is how we talk to God, scriptures are how we listen. I we aren't reading our scriptures then we are essentially telling God that we don't have time to listen to Him. I know for a fact that if we make room for scripture study every day consistently, he will give us back 10 fold.

We need to trust God and not turn our ear away from Him. I have lived that mistake of being casual with scripture study and testify to you that either you make the change now or you'll do it on your knees later. Start small and grow from there. Consistency is the key. Find a set time to read. This habit will be seen as eating or sleeping which is done every day. Elder Holland has said: scripture study should be more vital than sleep. Practice becomes habit.

For some, getting up a half hour early will do the trick. Today it's even easier because of all the resources available like the Gospel library app and audio. Everything you need is in the palm of your hands. If people around the world started their day reading for 5 minutes before the start or their day and end it the same way can you imagine what type of world this would be?

Con amor,
Vero

No comments: