Monday, June 1, 2020

What will it take?

Thoughts on 74 days of quarantine. 

In 1969 Mr. Rogers invited Officer Clemons on the show to join him and cool his feet in a small plastic wading pool. The two men broke a social barrier by sitting side by side with their feet in the pool. The reason why this was so important was because in that time many community pools across the country were preventing black people from sharing the water with white people.  And from those days we have come a long way baby!  But even today, there are people who still don't get it. 





I wish that there was not so much injustice and inequality but that has been life as we have known it for centuries. Sometimes it’s overwhelming and I feel helpless to not know how to stop it. But this story gave me hope. Maybe if everyone decides to take a stand we can create change. If we can all treat each other with respect and kindness I know it would make a difference. I can’t undo any wrong that has been done, but I want to try and be a part of the solution and educate myself and take a stand. I have always advocated for the underdog. We all need to try to educate ourselves and look deep within ourselves to try and be better.

What will it take?  I think there should be more training not just in police academies but in all kinds of work environments to create awareness. I am against any kind of prejudice not just for blacks but for hispanics, Asians, Native Americans and other minorities. I am against the killing of unborn babies, even though as ridiculous as it seems ,that is a hot topic and even sounds politicly incorrect now days. I am against any abuse of any person especially children and women. There are women who get killed by their partners day by day but no one is there to speak up against it. I do oppose rallies, because more often than not, they do more harm than good. I don't like the attitude of destruction, anarchy and terror which defeats the purpose of real change.


I have a clean conscious that I will never be caught dead as a revel, or a revolutionary woman or even a feminist. But I am for fairness and justice. what I am is a daughter of God like everybody else and I believe in seeing people the way God does. That is what we have been taught over and over again in Church. We sing, "I am a child of God" since we learn how to talk. Why can't people get this fact into their heads? Every life matters! Please, please, stop the hate and don't divide us


Con amor,

Vero

No comments: