Tuesday, June 30, 2020

No, not us!

Thoughts on 103 days of quarantine.

Every day for the past 103 days the pandemic has been on the news as the main story. Today when I looked at the numbers I couldn't help to think how on earth it has reached my immediate family. They have been so careful. 

My sister and her husband who live in North Caroline have tested positive. I can't believe they are now part of the statistic. Well, since my 80 year old mom lives with them, she got tested too. it's only natural that she could have been exposed and that also goes for their son who has not shown any symptoms. They are waiting for the results. 

My daughter Mandy wrote this post on Facebook "For the first time COVID-19 has infiltrated my family. Up until now I hadn't known anyone personally to get the virus. Not even a distant friend. But now I have two family members who have tested positive and two family members in jeopardy and it's really been an eye opener for me. I'm praying for a miracle right now that my grandma and cousin will not test positive since they have been exposed. I'm praying that my aunt and uncle who do have it will recover quickly and be okay. Please, mask up, Wash your hands, and try to stay physically apart. You can save lives by doing those three small things. I'm not saying I am perfect but after this experience I seriously do not want to risk it anymore. I'm praying that my family will be okay because I really want to see them again. I really want Mami Gloria to be around to meet my future kids. I'm pretty worried and felling stressed. I have felt so helpless. I haven't been in contact with them because they live in a different state. That almost makes this harder for me though because I already haven't seen them for a longtime and miss them. I just want them to be ok" 

What makes it hard is how no one can help them. They need to be in isolation and figure out how to do things on their own. I am aware of many who have contracted the virus, including a cousin and his family and many friends. One dear friend has died. It breaks my heart for his wife and daughters. This modern pandemic is no joke. It is defining this new era and it's a sign of the times. No person who has lived through this pandemic will ever forget it and it is impossible to estimate the sorrow and pain that people are feeling now and will continue to feel for years to come. 

My only wish is for people around the world, to leave aside their political tendencies and come together as one to fight this enemy the best way we know how. 

Con amor,
Vero


No comments: