Sunday, November 13, 2016

Soles for Souls

 Once I get back in the States I do want to make the sole for souls a reality. We took shoes to El Salvador 12 years ago and it was one of the best thanksgiving days in my life. It was during an awful time in my life but somehow I managed to survive. We were involved helping others and that is how I was able to deal with the pain I was feeling. This boy found an American flag among a dump an held it up. He found a treasure among all that garbage. and was so proud. That was an amazing Thanksgiving. 

There are times when I look at an old email to recapture time. This was an old email from Criti wrote back ten years ago to be exact when she didn't have little ones. This is what she wrote:


Hi everyone...so, today I has this idea- well actually I have been thinking about it for a while now but I finally have decided to act on it. We all have talents in art, music, photography, videography an writing that expresses something to the public. What about starting a non-profit where we educate those around us about what is going on in the world and then doing something about it. 

my fave quote is "be the change you want to see in the world." I thought about naming it Be the Change but then found there is already one called that but pretty similar to the idea I have- well sorta...www.bethechange.org. But we can think of something else! So, I was thinking we could pick projects get people involved and show them photos and video footage, music and writing on a website to bring these issues life and give others opportunity to the help the cause. Then we can act and do something- even if it begins with only one project a year...it is something. Better than nothing.

Today,this photojournalist e-mailed me after seeing my website and contacted me on who did my website and how to get involved with Souls with Soles...I know there are so many people who want to help in doing something but don't know where to go. This year there has been 30% more volunteer help then previous years...I think people want to help.  The guys web page is www.adventura.ws and he has such powerful pictures of projects he has been involved with. I thought wow why not start something where we can use our talents for good by educating others on things and by also taking action and doing something about it. It would be cool to get other artists, musicians, photographers, writers who want to be involved as well. I am not saying we can change the world...and one project is only a drop in the bucket but our stories can inspire others to help and get involved either with our projects or with their own...it will be a ripple effect. Plus we do projects anyways- why not make it offical and get others involved bringing in some extra $ to enhance projets?

What do you guys think about doing something like this? We could get a board of directors set up and begin choosing a project for 2007. We could begin with what we know and learn about other organizations and then through our talents spread the word about our experiences. Any ideas on names?

So, this is where I see our family helping out ...and she continues but the point is that I saved this email because one day when I get back I do want to continue doing service like what we did in 2004 That is also a great way to forget about your problems because your are helping  others in worst shape than you. Incidentally, Cristi and her husband Brooks are going to be in Uganda this Thanksgiving. 

con amor
Vero


No comments: