Saturday, March 2, 2019

A memory from June 1985

I remember this day so well. I had turned my backyard into a mini-carnival. There were many fun games all around and a clown that came to entertain the children. Twenty- five children age three came.  Each guest got a wrapped gift to take home tied with a large helium balloon. And that wasn’t all, the next day was a Sunday and that is when the family came to celebrate her birthday as well because that year, June 9th fell on a Sunday but her party with her friends was the day before on Saturday June 8th1985 so here is what Cristi had to say about this memory. (In the photo she is wearing her very favorite pink dress.)

"Sacrifice. Every parent understands this word.
I remember watching a home video of my third birthday party. My carefree (and slightly diva) self pranced around twirling in my favorite dress as my ve
ry pregnant mom handed out individually wrapped party favors with balloons. Later I asked her about the party and she told me that she had stayed up all night before getting everything ready for that day. 

It hit me that I will never even begin to know the countless hours my parents spent behind the scenes sacrificing their time, sleep, sanity, and money for us kids. And now my kids will be blinded to the same reality.


They will never remember the times we stayed up rubbing their back when they were sick or the extra time spent listening to them share about their day or the amount of time we spend preparing and teaching them in our home. Or hello...don’t even get me started on the sacrifice of our bodies! They will never fully understand the battle wounds from carrying them for 9 months.


But the most beautiful thing about the word SACRIFICE is that the Latin root of the word comes from the meaning to "MAKE SACRED OR HOLY.”

Isn’t that what we want for our homes and our family? Making them sacred and holy?"
Amazing to think this was over 33 years ago and she still remembers it. 

Con amor,
Vero

No comments: