Saturday, March 30, 2019

Doing Good Project

Making money while making the world a better place –
What could possibly be better than that? That is exactly the goal of Proof Eyewear’s founder and son in law Brooks Dame. He told reporters: “This is why we started Proof 8 years ago.” Proof Eyewear prides itself on being pioneers in ecofriendly products and also strives to help those in need. A portion of each sale goes to Do Good projects $10 from every wood collection frame supports the Health and Vison projects around the world. By embracing a socially conscious business model, the idea of Do Good Program has taken them to El Salvador, India, Philippines, Uganda, Nepal and In March 2019 they went to Peru with Help International as their partners. 

Brooks wrote this post on Facebook. “Still have thoughts of Peru swirling in my head today after being back in the U.S. for 48 hours. Coming back to my reality and life after one of those trips is always a bit of an adjustment. Coming back is a bit like waking up from a dream. Did that really happen? Was I really there? Did I see what I think I saw? My mind goes to a lot of different places. The answer is always yes to all the questions above but difficult to believe. 

The people are always where my thoughts turn first. I have to look at it on 2 fronts really. One is in the Help International and Proof team, some who have been in multiple trips and some who came for the first time. Everyone comes with a different lens on life and different skillsets. It always seems fast friends are made and long lasting memories for the team members. It’s interesting because although some live in my city I get to spend more one on one time with them on these trips and even then, it doesn’t seem enough. They are a big reason why we do these trips every year. They make up a big reason why these trips are so fun and memorable. 

Two. The people of Peru were warm and friendly. I honestly didn’t witness anyone being mean rude or unkind (with the exception of maybe the airine workers but maybe that is job induced.) I found Peruvians very kind. From the driver who didn’t charge us for a ride into town to the villagers from humble circumstances who threw us a party I won’t soon forget and gave us small gifts as a show of appreciation when we left. It was east to fall in love with the Peruvian people and their culture. The scenery, sights, food weren’t too shabby either. I hope to be back soon.”

I sure hope you get back soon and next time, take your whole family with you, including us. I have been to Peru, twice and that is not enough. Now I am off to a remote location in the sierra mountains very much like Machu Picchu. Should be back by Monday. 

Con amor,
Vero  

No comments: