Monday, June 14, 2021

I'll be the One

Today like every Monday, we had a devotional for the employees. I love these devotionals because they always share something incredibly inspiring that literally makes my entire week. This time it was about service and going the extra mile. It was brother De Santos explained ways to go the extra mile the way Christ taught his disciples. How lucky we are to have someone who inspires us each week with inspiring messages and brother De Santos is a master teacher. I took an Institute class with him. As he was talking, I thought about the phrase I’ll be the one” which was used in the Philippines. It also brought to my memory a story I heard years ago from my phycology teacher. The story goes as follows: 

 

This is a little story about four people named Everybody, Somebody, Anybody, and Nobody.

 

There was an important job to be done and Everybody was sure that Somebody would do it.

 

Anybody could have done it, but Nobody did it.

 

Somebody got angry about that because it was Everybody’s job.

 

Everybody thought that Anybody could do it, but Nobody realized that Everybody wouldn’t do it.

 

It ended up that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have done.

 

After this story was shared, she gave us a sticker that read “I’LL BE THE ONE!”  We all took that sticker and put it on our desk, the refrigerator or in front of our mirror so we would see it every day as a reminder. I didn’t realize this at the time but after seeing that sticker everyday saying “I’’LL BE THE ONE!” it changed my life forever and now it is engraved on my heart forever as I heard it talked about so much when we lived in the Philippines. Our teacher told us how the phrase “I’ll be the one” reminded her every day to not pass any opportunity to serve or help thinking that someone else would do it. We should take the opportunity ourselves!

 

In closing, brother De Santos shared a moving video of someone inn Uruguay who was the one in helping a Mission President when he contracted COVID and because of his example I will be sure to watch for those opportunities to serve and be more careful not to pass by thinking somebody else will do it! I learned by watching this video that it’s not enough to simply say, “if there is anything you need, please let me know” but instead simply be the one and say I am here! 

 

Con amor,

Vero

No comments: