Monday, August 18, 2014

Dog bites are scary

I remember going to my friend Linda Miguel's  home only to be welcomes by a German Shepard that bit me on my thy. Another time I was at the farm in San Antonio Abad when some mutt came and bit me behind my leg and one time as I was walking to take the bus to go to school right in from of our house when the neighbors little dog came barking right at me and I must have looked scared because he bit me too. I remember going to clinics to make sure I would be fine.


But today the last thing I had on my mind when Mandy called me crying was to think that a mean dog bit her at work. She is so good with dogs and I never thought that could happen to my sweet Mandy. I was worried she had gotten into a car accident by the tone of her voice but when she told me of a dog biting her, it brought all those unpleasant memories as a child.


She then proceeded in telling me that when she asked her supervisor if she should see a doctor she told her no. Maybe she has seen  this before and knows she would be ok but  why not give her some comfort to at least have a doctor take a look at it. She tells her dad who is upset at this point and asks her to go to an Instacare clinic but there, they want her to do some extended paperwork for workers compensation and she leaves crying which is when she called me.


I told her, honey no one has the right to tell you if you need to see a doctor or not. (If I were her I would have said, is up to you and simply wash my hands) I told her: You are an adult and this is your body. If your gut feeling tells you to see a doctor, do it! You should probably be fine but that is why there are doctors, they are the experts and they would know. I told her that I think is time to quit that job if they are going to treat her like that. This would be the perfect timing to give her two week notice. She is scared of burning bridges and that she could never use them as a reference but I would be more afraid of Mandy filing a complaint and would do anything to mend any negligence.

No comments: