Saturday, January 10, 2015

Love Saturdays but who doesn't!

Saturday is my favorite day of the week. It's a day I get to spend it with Daniel, a day I try to do a long run if I am getting ready for a marathon or do en extra hour working out, a day we go to the store if we need something, a day we go out to eat if we feel like it and a day we go to the temple if Friday was not convenient for us to go. Saturday mornings is the day the alarm doesn't go off. Yay!! I love this day. They are all small things we do on Saturday but they mean a lot.
“Sometimes the smallest things take up the most space in your heart.” That quote from Winnie the Pooh is so true. In life it is those little things that are so meaningful to us and become our favorite memories.


 Growing up I remember lying on my mom’s bed as if it was the living room. Every night we would all surround her huge king size bed as she watched her favorite “novela” not a good habit to have but she was addicted to those. She would get all mad at the villain character in the novella as if it was a true story.  It was not conducive to much interaction but It left us great memories of being together watching her favorite show. I remember my mother even had two channels from Mexico so that she could know in advance what would happen in the novella. Crazy but she was hooked!


 In college I lived in five places. My aunt’s home, the dorms on first avenue, the Swinton’s huge house  on the upper avenues and the basement apartment on A Street. One of my favorite memories was spending time with the Garcia girls and planning parties. Or the time spent doing crazy things to get the boys attention. One time I needed some ingredients to make cebada, a type of drink I wanted to take to a young adult party so I made a midnight run to the store a few blocks away. I was on foot. I didn’t own a car. That was not very smart. The lower avenues is not considered the safest place in Salt Lake to be walking around at midnight and what was so funny is that when I took this amazing drink to the party they all said it was different. They never said it was good, or delicious, but different!!  I didn’t realize you have to grow up with the taste to love it.
 Another time I planned a birthday party for my boyfriend at the park. All our College friends came and I felt so happy. It was a surprise.  Another time I planned a Christmas party and celebration on the basement for a couple who had just gotten married. My roommate and I loved Michael Jackson this was in 1980 He looked black then. We, the Latinas, danced so much and even did the train It was such a small thing but for me it was one of our favorite college memories. Those were little things that meant a lot.


Today I am super excited because my husband and I have a tradition of watching a show on Saturdays. No particular television series or show, anything goes. He loves action movies and I love romance or anything uplifting. I hate dumb shows. We sit together on our couch and look for something fun to watch.  He loves chespirito and I am the first to admit that it is a terrible show and dumb but gosh dang it he loves watching it because it reminds him of his childhood so we do watch a few of those episodes.  We always have our pizza or some treat that we eat while we watch the show so it feels like a party. It’s such a silly little thing but it is something that he and I seriously plan our weeks around so we can watch movies together and laugh or in my case, cry.  Such a small thing but it means the world to Daniel and me to have that little tradition together.


 Tonight I am especially mindful of how the smallest things take up the most space in your heart. Cherish the small things. Those small things will become the big things.  Since Daniel leaves on small trips a lot and sometimes gets home late on Saturdays I look so forward for Saturdays.  I am grateful to have this night to watch our little show together and eat our bread pudding I made and laugh….such a little small thing but it fills all the room in my heart. Life is very interesting as an empty nester that it amazes me how those little things become important to me.

No comments: