Monday, April 13, 2015

Monday message

Every Monday I write something to the women in our family: My sisters, daughters, step-daughters and daughters in law. This is what I wrote this morning:


Hello girls:


With the exception of when I am on vacation, I am starting a Monday email message (like the ones missionaries send to their families every Monday) to the women in our family.  This way you will hear from us and  know what we are up to and to be more connected as our family moves around all over the world. I hope you get them. We still don't know if we are to remain in the Dominican Republic or if we are moving as of today. Bishop Caussé told us that they will know where we go next by the end of the month or beginning of May but that our assignment was coming to an end, maybe.


 Last weekend, Pablo Sydney and kids came to Puerto Rico for a visit. On Sunday we were watching General Conference anxiously waiting for the announcement of the Haiti Temple, it is truly a miracle! Only Daniel knew about it so I could tell he was very excited when it was finally announced! He has been working very hard for this to be able to materialize. Today at 11:am our time 9:00 am Utah time, he is going to be presenting the logistics for the new mission opening in Barbados, he asked that we keep him in our prayers as he presents.  


Last Monday we were at the Culebra island in Puerto Rico, that's why I didn't send an email to you that day but let me tell you, I wish we all had been there. It is rated #3 most beautiful beach in the world and I believe it is true! So much that I am considering moving there when I retire. Just kidding. But it's tempting!


Anytime you come home from vacation it feels like you pay a major price for having been away.  For me that is one of the things that causes conflicting feelings about getting excited to go on vacation in the first place.  It’s knowing that you will have to face the punishment for having been away on the vacation.  Everything from the mounds of unread emails, the loads of laundry, the pile of unopened mail, and empty fridge, catching up with paying bills and even dealing with the jet lag, ( I am thinking about Ireland and Tanzania as a  future destination) etc…..they are all part of that punishment for taking time away.


After facing the stress of my first days back from vacation I have determined that part of my problem is the fact that I don’t ever plan ahead for dealing with the aftermath of the vacation.  I get so focused on planning the vacation itself that I don’t pay attention to planning ways to mitigate the pain of returning home after my vacations. This year alone I have gone to Uruguay and Miami in December and January; Mexico in February; Peru in March, Puerto Rico in April and headed to Idaho in May and El Salvador in June. That is one trip per month!  No wonder we are in so much debt!  I decided that the next time I go on a vacation I am going to set a goal to do things prior to the vacation that will help mitigate the pains of coming home from my vacation. A few things I thought of today that would be helpful to do before the next vacation are:

  • Clean the entire house before I go – I think walking back into a clean house would help eliminate the after-vacay stress a lot. last time I left my home was like a tornado hit it.
  • Wash the bed sheets and make the bed before I leave.  Coming home to fresh sheets on a bed that’s made makes all the difference.
  • Assign Grace, Daniel's secretary who delivers our mail to throw away all the junk mail that come while I am gone so there won’t be such an intimidating pile of mail to handle when I get back.
  • Get the laundry done at home before I go so the only laundry left to do is the laundry from the trip.
  • For those out there who work outside the home I think it would be a great idea to get a full day off work between coming home from vacation and starting back in the office.  Having a full day off would help get rid of the jet lag problem and allow for unpacking suitcases and doing the laundry from the trip. Then they could start back to work more refreshed.
  • I like it when I see one of those out of office reply that tells people they will not be reading emails that come during their trip and requesting that they send a new email to them after their return (letting them know they have no intention of reading the emails that came in their absence), then they wouldn’t have to try and read through all the emails that came while they were gone because the important ones will be resent by people that truly needed them – that would shift the burden back to the people trying to reach them rather than putting it on your shoulders to catch up on everything that came through while you were gone. I wish Daniel did this because all he does during any of our vacation time is read emails. There is no real vacation for people like him who keep working,always reading and answering their emails.
    So that is what I have come up with so far. If anyone else has additional ideas on things we could do in advance of our vacation to ease the burden of returning home Please share them. I could use all the help I can get on this matter and I assume I  am not the only one who would love suggestions on this topic. I would love for us to conquer the stress of returning home from vacations because heaven knows I want to look forward to future vacations rather than dreading how I feel upon their return.
    On a sad note, I want to inform you that Sydney's grandfather passed away while they were visiting Puerto Rico. It is our profound wish that together with their family they can remember him and capitalize in their hearts all those good memories and teachings from Tata. He left a wonderful legacy and the world is a better place because of him.
    Have a great Monday everyone!
    Veruschka
     
     







No comments: