Monday, April 20, 2015

Our legacy

The other day I found out how little our grandkids really know us. We were saying goodbye at the San Juan Airport in Puerto Rico, giving hugs and kisses and as it came to one of our granddaughters turn to do the same (she is only five,) she didn't want to. she refused to hug Daniel to say goodbye and what an awkward moment that was!  OUTCH!! So I decided to start a Monday email to all the girls in our immediate family in order for us to all be more connected.  This is what my email was for today, April 20, 2015.




I want to start today’s Monday message as to what this weekly email message is and the background on why it came about…I was looking at a picture of the Allred family now reaching over 50 members thinking of our own family which grew from 17 members when we got married in 2009 to 30 members in 2014 and how that could be our family in a few years. I want our grandchildren to know us. When we die, I want the grandkids to have something to remember us. I am afraid it will get harder to stay in touch. And not only will it be difficult for me personally to feel connected to all of you, but it will be difficult for our grandchildren to feel connected to the entire family. I also want to find a way to share the values that we stand for and the values we want our family to stand for (integrity, respect, going the extra mile, thinking of others more than us etc.) All in hopes that one day we can all be an eternal family!


So I made the decision that I would start writing a weekly message to the girls, I feel very comfortable talking to the women in our family since I had no sons and grew up with no brothers. Some days I will write about Daniel’s schedule of events at the office, some days I will write about the lessons we learn living abroad, some days I will write about our goals as a family, some days I will write about my own family growing up in El Salvador or Daniel’s family growing up in Uruguay, some days I write about my personal struggles in life, and some days I will share inspirational things I have heard or learned.


 I learn something new each day as I read so much material to teach my Institute class each week, and as a DTA wife.  You never know if the message will be a fun story, an inspirational thought, or really important update about where we are headed.  And so this email will become a great way I can communicate effectively to the entire ‘matriarcado” I wish I could write it in Spanish because I write better in Spanish but in order to keep everyone in the loop and on the same page my emails will all be written in English.


I have learned so much from observing the change in the world since I moved to the Dominican Republic. The Caribbean is very diverse and the people here are the best!  It has been an awesome experience to see how every person who works with Daniel have become part of a real team, more like a family.  Working together and how the work environment is more harmonious than when we first moved here.  Employees have become more excited about their job because they now feel like they are part of something bigger than themselves. In addition, it has let everyone know exactly what the core values are and what matters to Daniel as their leader…  I can honestly say that the impact of It wasn’t some magic formula that has made them successful…it has been simple little things like having a choir and participating in other activities outside from the office setting.  Daniel has done a great job keeping everyone focus and eager to come to work each day with a positive attitude.  I guess by now, he has done all there is to do here and it might be time for the Bishopric to look for a new adventure for us.  


We are very excited to find out in a month where we go next or if we stay. I am glad I got to know so many of the General Authorities here a little better. I will always remember their wonderful teachings and example like those special visits with Elder Holland, Bednar, Nelson, Andersen and Bishop McMullen to name a few. I have learned so many things over this past  years attending many seminars, conventions and conferences from self-reliance to mission presidents seminars that it would take an entire book to put them all down, but I am going to try and pick the three that were the foundation for all of the lessons I have learned.


 As I got thinking today I want to share the top three things I have learned that may help you in your life.  I only want to choose the Top three because it’s much easier to remember only three. 


Top three lessons:


1. Ask to be guided by the Holy Spirit: Start your morning with a prayer to always do the right thing…Always…No matter what the consequences of doing the right thing will be. At the end of the day there is nothing more valuable than your INTEGRITY, both in life and in business. There will be times in your life when you will have the opportunity to take shortcuts into the gray areas that may very well help you get what you want more quickly or more easily. You may even tell yourself that everyone else does it so why shouldn’t I? The reality is that no matter how tempting those shortcuts may appear they will never lead you to where you ultimately want to be in your life. Success will come and go but integrity is forever. Daniel closes the door in his office every morning to kneel down to pray. If you always choose to do the right thing, it won’t matter what the outcome is because you will be successful as a human being in the areas that matter most. And there is just no better feeling than knowing you did the right thing, in the right way…that is true success.


2. Do things the Lord’s way: I have learned much about the legacy of a good leader and what better leader than Christ.  I believe that the key to being a good leader is to value and care for the people that you lead. Great leaders believe in the people that they lead, they help each person to see the potential that exists inside of them and they believe in their people’s ability to achieve amazing things. It is their belief in you that inspires you to go the extra mile and to reach beyond what you thought you were capable of doing. Seeing your potential through their eyes helps you to get a glimpse of everything you can achieve in your life. I have been truly blessed with many great leaders throughout my life. They inspired me to accomplish all that they thought I was capable of, even when I didn’t feel that confidence on my own. I trusted that they knew what I could do better than I did, and if they thought I could be fabulous then I was going to believe them and go for it. That is how great leaders lead. I hope that Daniel realizes how much he has helped people achieve their potential by believing in them and how they will continue to grow after he is gone.


3. Begin with the end in mind: I believe in the power of setting goals. Every time I see Daniel very involved in something it is usually when he is measuring his projections. He is constantly setting short term as well as long term goals.  I took it to the extent of creating my own goal poster. I like visual things so I have had a goal poster since I moved here 5 years ago and it works like magic because every picture I have glued on my goal poster  has come to pass, and so I just keep putting bigger and better pictures on my goal poster. However, if things are not turning out the way you want, remember who is really in charge and we should never limit the picture we have in our heads when God intends for us to be a masterpiece! It has helped me immensely to read my patriarchal blessing often to keep my goals align and focus on what matters most.


 I hope that the lessons I have shared with you this morning will be useful to you as well. I feel so fortunate to have learned so much from so many wonderful people. Daniel and I think of you daily and want to help and support you in all you do.  Thanks for being who you are. We couldn’t be more proud!


Love,


Veronica


 


 


 

No comments: