Monday, August 10, 2015

A day to remember

This was my Monday message for the girls.

Dear girls:

It is August 10th 2015, a day to remember because exactly two years ago, we were in Utah celebrating a new beginning for Mandy and Spencer.  Going to the temple and that lively fun reception we had afterwards at Spencer’s home. What a fun day!

 It is also a new beginning for so many kids starting school this week. I know Andres Behner had to go to school today in Tanzania. Wow, what a big change for him! And when I saw Nixon’s picture on facebook starting Kindergarten, my heart melt to see how much he has grown and that goes for Charlotte too. 

As a mother I remember it was a tender moment for me as tears rolled down my face after I took each of my girls to school that very first morning of kindergarten. It’s the beginning of growing up and learning new things. It marks the end of our babies being completely dependent of us. 

As a child we learned so many simple things, yet often we overlook how those simple rules apply to us as adults. No matter how old we are. I remember long ago reading these words by Robert Fulghum that caught my attention and want to share with you today. 

All I Really Need to know I Learned in kindergarten.

Sharing everything.
Play fair.
Don’t hit people.
Put things back where you found them.
Clean up your own mess.
Don’t take things that aren’t yours.
Say you’re sorry when you hurt somebody.
Wash your hands before you eat…
Warm cookies and cold milk are good for you.
Live a balanced life, learn some and think some and draw and paint and sing and dance and play and work every day some.
Take a nap every afternoon.
When you go out into the world, watch out for traffic, hold hands, and stick together. 
Be aware of wonder. Remember the little seed in the Styrofoam cup: the roots go down and the plant goes up nobody really knows how or why, but we are all like that. 
Goldfish and hamsters and white mice and even the little seed in the Styrofoam cup, they all die, so do we. 
And then remember the Dick and Jane books and the first word you learned. The biggest word of all…LOOK 

In his book by the same tittle he shares how these rules apply to us as adults but just reading those short sentences above is enough to get your mind thinking about how you should apply those to life today. We all tend to view life as complicated, but what if it really is as simple as following those simple rules we learned as a child?  My favorite is: When you go out into the world watch out for traffic, hold hands and stick together. I say this because I was thinking mainly of our marriages. We need to always look out for each other, hold hands and stick together and this is my message for today. I wrote this before Monday thinking that I should wait for it to be your Monday since your Monday is my Tuesday. Anyway is confusing. 

Love you,
Vero


No comments: