Monday, August 24, 2015

Monday message

(This is the email sent for 8/24/15)

Hi girls:

"Time is free, but it's priceless. You can't own it, but you can use it. You can't keep it, but you can spend it. Once you've lost it you can never get it back" Harvey Mackay

If I am not mistaken it is Monday August 24th around 2:00 p.m. in Manila as I am posting my remarks it might say another time on my computer or even another day… I am not sure where my computer is getting the location but it is not in Manila.

In the Dominican Republic is 2:00 a.m. But the computer wrote 11:00 p.m. of the day before, that is Pacific time. Mountain time is around midnight. As I look at my time tracking device I see that if I want to call my sister Liz in Tanzania I could call now, she just woke up, she is five hours behind but we don’t dare call Daniel’s mom since it’s 3:a.m. for her.  If Daniel wants to call Gabriel in Ireland this is a good time. It is 7:p.m. for him. Time change is something I have to get use to.

I never had to worry too much about being two or three hours ahead in the DR but now we are 12 to 15 hours ahead which means I might either be too late or too early congratulating people on their birthdays. It happened to me last Thursday. 

We knew it was Bianca’s 30th birthday and we are usually pretty good at making the calls but this time we remember it too soon when it was still too early to call. Instead we posted something on facebook so Daniel said: “we will be the first ones before anyone else” but to my surprise someone else had done it before us and it  was disappointing…  We made the mistake to wait to call for the perfect moment but didn’t happen. Very sorry Bianca and happy belated birthday!! Moral of the story: while I am here in Manila It will never be too early to call!

 I also hope I don't waste time while I am here realizing one day, where did the time go? Here we are toward the end of August and I am suddenly aware of the fact that for most people the Summer vacation is over as children are back in school again.  Back to homework and sports teams and dance and piano lessons and everything else that feels up your calendars during the school year when you are a young parent...I remember those days that quickly vanished and at times I wished I could rewind the time. 

Our children grow up so fast! Trust me, I have experienced just how fast they grow as our kids have all become adults in the last few years, moving away to attend college and getting married and becoming parents themselves. Nothing is more fun than being with our grandchildren!! So please, Skype, face time, Magic Jack or call our Vonage anytime you get a chance. We get a big kick out of watching the grandkids! They are all so adorable!!

I still remember how I used to feel when my girls were title, thinking I had all the time in the world to spend with them...but then in the blink of an eye they were grown, living an adult life of their own. It happens more quickly than you could ever imagine... and sadly we rarely realize it until they are actually leaving home and by then it's too late to go back and relive those moments...and how you wish you would have moved heaven and earth to spend every moment possible with them, absorbing every second...but now is too late. You hear people say to you: "They grow up so fast" but you don't believe them until they are gone. 

Today, when I am as far as I could possibly be physically, I realize I can't go back in time, but I can certainly enjoy the time I will get to spend when I go back to Utah and Idaho next month. I am also going to include going to Orlando to visit my mother on that trip. I promised her I would do that anytime I come to the States. There are direct flights from Salt Lake City to Orlando. Sweet!!

Like they say: “Time is of the essence.” We will never regret the moments we took time to spend with our family creating memories...but we will for sure regret the times we could have and didn't take the time. 

Enjoy the rest of the month of August, it's still sunny!

Besitos,

Vero

No comments: