Monday, March 28, 2016

Happy Easter letter

Dear family:

I had a busy day yesterday at Church since I gave the lesson in Relief Society. Teaching is what I love to do the most because I believe is the teacher the one who learns the most.  Teaching a class right at Easter is also extra special.  Daniel couldn’t believe all the stuff I carried with me but I loved preparing for it.

We live in a Christian community mostly Catholic so it is very interesting to watch how many Catholics do remember Jesus at this time of the year. The Chapels were full of people attending mass.  On Thursday and Friday there was absolutely no one out on the streets and everything was closed which is very rare for the Philippines.

I am always fascinated by other people’s beliefs and religions and I love to recognize the similarities between the different religions as it becomes very clear that many religions stemmed from the same initial roots that branched out into different versions that changed with time and customs of their own lands.

There are common threads amongst all of us to be found when we share and listen with an open heart and a desire to learn from one another. I believe that religion should always be a positive influence that promotes acceptance and love and brings people together. It makes me sad to see how some people would do so much harm in the name of a religion.  It hits home when you see our own missionaries getting hurt that way.

For me Easter represents the gift of hope and eternal life. The ability to be resurrected someday into a perfect version of our bodies and to be reunited with people we love and had preciously lost. I lost people I love very much to death and some I would love to meet someday like Daniel’s father, Hermes. It makes me so happy to know that because of the sacrifice Jesus Christ made for all of us we will have the opportunity to be resurrected and be together again someday.

Teaching my class yesterday about remembering who we trusted and the love the Savior has for each one of us felt incredible. The spirit was very strong. When I went to Jerusalem a few years ago, I entered a place believed to be where the last supper took place and I felt as if Jesus was right there. I transported myself to that time and place and it felt real. I know this took place like I know He is alive today.

Hope you all had an amazing Easter, love you and miss you!

Con amor,
Vero




No comments: