Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Tragedy in Belgium.

Last night I saw the breaking news on my Facebook feed of another horrific senseless act of violence. It was heartbreaking to see so many innocent people killed and injured. It even  affected three Mormon Missionaries from Utah serving in that part of the world so that hits home. I thought about how devastating this must be for their families. One of those Missionary couples is from Lehi, Utah where my husband lived for four years.

It made me sick to even think about it. What a horrible thing to have to experience. My thoughts and prayers are going out to everyone impacted by this terrorist attack.  I also want to thank all those medical and police teams helping those victims. I can't imagine why would anyone want to take the lives of innocent people who have done nothing to them. It is even more disturbing that anyone could claim to do it in the name of God.

At times like this it's important that we keep faith in the goodness that still exists in humanity. We can't let the acts of a violent few villains overshadow the vast number of heroes doing incredible good in he world. There are so many great people doing amazing and selfless acts of service and  the more we can highlight their good works, the more we can overshadow the evil villains. Those missionaries who were injured were the perfect example. They are out as volunteers, paying their own way, spending two years away from their family and friends and all the comforts of home to go out and do humanitaria service for strangers and spread a positive message of God's love for all. They are the perfect examples of heroes doing good and there are all kinds of other great examples like them.

When President Hinkley was interviewed by Larry King following the 9/11 terrorist attacks he said:
"Religion offers no shield for wickedness, for evil. for those kinds of things. The God in whom I believe does no foster this kind of action. He is a God of mercy, He is a God of love. He is a God of peace and reassurance, and I look to Him in times such as this as a comfort and a source of strength. "

I agree wholeheartedly with his remarks. I hope we highlight the goodness in the world and those heroes in this world to spread a message of hope. We can all be an influence for good in this messed up world and get out there to do good works to make this world a better place.

Whenever I see something disgusting like this I keep reminding myself. "Light will overshadow darkness in the end. We need not fear. " I am not sure who said that, but I know it to be true.

Con amor,
Vero

No comments: