Friday, July 10, 2020

Letter to Heaven

Thoughts on 113 days of quarantine.

I dear friend from my childhood wrote this letter as a tribute to her husband. It made me think of how fragile life is and how important to leave a honorable legacy. Translation below. 

"Carta al cielo 
Mi adorado Pepe, 
Tengo el corazón partido en mil pedacitos por tu partida inesperada. Celebramos tu cumpleaños con alegría y compartimos ese día tan especial. Tú me sonreíste de una manera tan tierna y te dije que eras bien noble y bello. Luego te fuiste a la cama y en tus dulces sueños dejaste este mundo con mucha paz. Nunca pensé ni por un momento que no te volvería a ver. Al despertar me llevé esa sorpresa que me golpeo mi alma. 

El otro mes hubiéramos cumplido 39 años de casados y 2 de novios. 41 años es toda una vida juntos. Nos casamos tan jóvenes apenas experimentando la vida en California. Pasamos unos recuerdos tan bellos allá con nuestra hija Jenny. Estábamos llenos de ilusiones. Desde el primer momento que la vistes, la miraste con tanto amor y alegría. Luego me regalaste otra hija que tuvimos para el día del padre, Maru. Estabas tan orgulloso de tener tu regalo del día del padre, una niña tan cachetona y bella. 

Nos has amado a las tres y nos decías tus tres muñecas, tus tres amores. Tantas aventuras que hemos pasado juntos. Me enseñaste a ser valiente y creer en mí. Me apoyaste con mis estudios hasta que me gradué y estabas tan orgulloso de mi. Cuando trabajé en el colegio me recogías todos los días y te bajabas a buscarme con mucho amor y alegría. Estabas lleno de alegría compartiendo con los amigos de nuestras hijas y contando chistes. 

Todos te decían tío Pepe con mucho cariño. Tocaste tantas personas porque eras optimista y con una gran luz. De repente parabas el carro y me decías, voy a ayudar a la señora porque se le quedó el carro. Te quedabas ayudándolos hasta que arrancaban. Eso lo hacías todo el tiempo. Hablabas con todas las personas, hasta los que hacían colas. Admirabas a todos los niños y fuiste cariñoso con ellos. Querías mucho a todos los animales.

 Lo que más amaba de ti es que jamás criticabas a nadie. Siempre mirabas lo mejor de la gente porque tenías una gran calidad humana. Eras tan simpático y chistoso contando una gran cantidad de chistes. Tu querías mucho a mi mamá y ella te decía la flecha porque todo lo resolvías rápido. 

Crecimos juntos y me enseñaste a amar, a ser servicial y a compartir con las personas. Te encantaba salir conmigo todos los días a todas partes. Estos últimos 4 años fuiste tan valiente y aunque te quedaste en una silla de ruedas, nunca te distes por vencido. Te operaste muchas veces hasta que lograste caminar un poco.

 Luchaste y siempre dijiste que lo ibas a lograr. Pues lo lograste, caminas ahora en el cielo hacia la luz. Dios siempre te cuidó y te salvó de muchas situaciones peligrosos. Te enseño a seguir la luz por un buen camino. 
En tu cumpleaños estabas tan feliz de todas las personas que te felicitaron con mucho amor. También te alegraste cuando tus compañeros oraron por ti y lo repetías a cada rato como te querían. Aprendí una lección de la vida, que nada es tuyo. Decimos mi marido, mis hijos y mi casa. Mi marido se fue con Dios y los hijos se van y la casa se queda en la tierra. Nunca te olvidaré y ahora es tiempo que otros disfruten de tu alegría en el cielo y que comparten contigo. 

Aunque tu no estés, mi amor nunca se desaparecerá y ojalá que algún día nos volvamos a reunir. Te amo con todo mi corazón y te amare siempre, 
Tu esposa Isa

Letter to heaven
My beloved Pepe,
My heart is broken into a thousand pieces for your unexpected departure. We celebrated your birthday with joy and shared that special day. You smiled at me in such a tender way and I told you that you were very noble and beautiful. Then you went to bed and in your sweet dreams you left this world with in peace.

 I never thought for a moment that I would never see you again. Waking up I got that surprise that hit my soul. Next month we would have been celebrating 39 years of marriage and 2 dating. 41 years is a lifetime together. We married so young just experiencing life in California. We had such beautiful memories there with our daughter Jenny. We were full of illusions. From the first moment you saw her, you looked at her with so much love and joy. Then you gifted me another daughter we had for Father's Day Maru. You were so proud to have your Father's Day gift, such a beautiful girl.

You loved us three and you told us we were your three loves. So many adventures we've been through together. You taught me to be brave and believe in me. You supported me with my studies until I graduated and you were so proud of me. When I worked at the school you picked me up every day and you went down to find me with lots of love and joy. You were filled with joy sharing with our daughter’s friends and telling jokes. Everyone used to call you Uncle Pepe with love. You touched so many people because you were optimistic and a great light.

Suddenly you would stop the car and told me, I'm going to help the lady because she needs help starting her car. You stayed helping them until they started. You did that all the time. You talked to all the people, even to total strangers. You played with  all the kids and were loving to them. You loved all the animals so much. What I loved most about you is that you never criticized anyone. You always looked at the best in people because you had a great human quality. You were so nice and funny telling a lot of jokes. You loved my mom so much and she nick named you “the arrow” because you solved everything fast.

We grew up together and you taught me to love, to be helpful and to share with people. You loved hanging out with me every day everywhere. These past 4 years you were so brave and even though you were in a wheelchair, you never gave up. You had surgery many times until you walked a little. You fought and always said you were going to make it. Well you did it, you walk in the sky now into the light. God always took care of you and saved you from many dangerous situations. I taught you to follow the light on a right path.

On your birthday, you were so happy of all the people who congratulated you with lots of love. You were also glad when your colleagues prayed for you and repeated it every time that they loved you. I learned a lesson from life, that nothing is yours. We say my husband, my kids and my house. My husband left with God and the children are leaving and the house stays on earth. I will never forget you and now it's time for others to enjoy your joy in heaven and share with you.

Even if you are not, my love will never disappear and hopefully one day we will meet again. I love you with all my heart and I will love you always,
Your wife Isa"

What a tender tribute to an amazing man that I had the honor of knowing. Till me meet again Pepe. 

Con amor,
Vero



No comments: