Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Do not worry, be happy!

Thoughts on 138 days of quarantine. 

"Do not worry about tomorrow. This is not a suggestion but a command. I divided time into days and nights so that you would have manageable portions of life to handle. My grace is sufficient for you, but its sufficiency is for only one day at a time. When you worry about the future, you heap day upon day of troubles onto your flimsy frame. You stagger under this heavy load, which I never intended you to carry. 

Throw off this oppressive burden with one quick thrust of trust. Anxious thoughts meander about and crisscross in your brain, but trusting Me brings you directly into my presence. As you thus affirm your faith, shackles of worry fall off instantly. Enjoy My presence continually by trusting Me at all times. Matthew 6:34; Corinthians 12:9; Psalm 62:8"

My middle name is worry. I can’t ever relax because I am in constant worrying. That is probably why I also have bad ulcers. Worrying is in my DNA I have the tendency to worry about absolutely everything, and I truly mean everything. I read every urban legend ever published anywhere on the internet and I worry about every single one of them. And then forward them to my family of “what might happen if we are not careful.” This pandemic is especially confusing and it makes you wonder.

In the past, it was mostly about the stuff we eat that could slowly kill us or toxic organisms that might occupy our mattresses and pillows and are so disgusting. I have read warnings of everything from underwire bras and deodorant causing cancer for women to the fact that riding a bicycle way too much will destroy men’s ability to father a child to the dangers of laptop computers and any devices spying on us. I have heard it all. Some I believe and some I don’t. However, it is not that my life is filled with worries but all that information found on line can make you tired and anxious.

As we started to be on lockdown, I found that I began worrying about everything, allowing myself to stress about the “what could happen” or “what might happen”. I have spent days, 138 to be exact, worrying about things which did absolutely nothing other than to make me an anxious person. My husband, on the other hand, has a way of controlling his mind so he does not worry too much on things he can’t control. I wish I was like him. 

Then one day when I was talking to my daughter Bianca, I remember she had given me a gift of a meditation course. It hit me…oh my goodness…she gave me this gift for a purpose. I better get to it right away. Amazing, that course has changed me to the point that I can take deep breaths and feel at peace. Bianca shared some exiting turn of events for our family that had caused a little anxiety and excitement at the same time but I know we can handle it. 

Con amor,
Vero


No comments: