Saturday, September 20, 2014

Liz's birthday

Today my sister Liz turned 49, she invited all her girls friends to a luncheon in her front porch. The best place to hold a party. If there is one thing I love about her house is her huge front room perfect to hold parties. What a neat design that I have not seen in any other home. So unique and practical. My sister Liz reminds me of mother Theresa, always giving, always patient with everyone. She is an amazing wife and mother. She is also a great example to me. She takes care of so many of us sisters and my mother. I don't know what I would do if she didn't watch over our assets in El Salvador.


One thing we discuss from time to time is how hard it must have been for our own mother to have been marginalized all her life as a single mother by choice. How hard it must have been to be considered less than desirable and to have our father not appreciate her. She no doubt loved him and cared for him but did he never cared enough to marry her? I never understood his position on not wanting to do the right thing.


I once saw an article that read: "Divorce can be disastrous. But where children are involved never getting married is far worse.' In an open letter to Sir Paul Coleridge, Kathy Gyngell wrote: "I salute you, I have nothing but admiration for your standing up, speaking out and lambasting contemporary casual attitudes to marriage, divorce and birth out of wedlock... Marriage everywhere is the bridge between bonds and kin relationships integral to the functioning and survival of human society. It defines social relationships, social and economic responsibilities. It establishes genealogical connections and confers "belonging" and social identity... No other set of relationships or connections whether through friendship, work, sport  or volunteering replicate the function of marriage."


Liz was fortunate to knew better and has stayed home raising her children. She loves being a mom. I admire her for that. She deserves to have a good life surrounded by a good husband and children. Happy birthday little sister. I wish we were celebrating together. Maybe next year when you turn the big 50!!

No comments: