Sunday, January 20, 2019

Broadcast for young married couples

The young married couples was broadcasted so we were able to see it in our home.  Elder and sister Schmutz and Elder Holland to all the young married couples. It began with the Schmutzes telling of the experience they had when a Bishop gave them an assignment to attend the temple together every week for 52 weeks so they chose Saturdays at 4:00 pm that worked the best for them and they saw an improvement in their marriage even though their marriage was great but there was an added dose of love, kindness and tenderness that has endured for the 41 years they have been married.

It was a beautiful site to see all the couples sitting very closely in a snuggled with arms around each other. The couples sat together holding hands and listening intently the counsel given. Elder and sister Schmutz are a good looking couple. Cindy is a beautiful woman and her husband still has hair at age 64 and handsome for his age. It is clear how much they both adore each other. As I watched them take turns relating their story I couldn't help to think of how lucky those two are to have found each other and to have gone through challenges early and their marriage like any other couple out there but made it work. They both look like teenagers still deeply and madly in love, and having fun together. They are an inspiration to so many of us who didn't get it right the first time around but are striving to make it work for once and for all!

Elder Holland stood up and started his talk by showing a picture of his wife. He said "She is not only my screensaver but my lifesaver."He taught us ways to strengthen our marriage so that our life on this earth will be a bit of heaven. He told the wives to always remember what all husbands need from their wives to fell they are accepted for who they are. When he said that, I wondered if I have let my husband know that I love him for who he is. Does he feel wanted, loved, accepted and appreciated? I sure hope so.

He spoke of the advice he also received when he was in school attending a rigorous and demanding college life. He was asked to block each week a time to spend together even when they didn't have money to go on dates they walked to a Dairy Queen for ice-cream each Friday night and this is a must for all couples to go on a date even when they think they don't have the time. It is wonderful to see good, clear and real examples of people who made it! This coming Friday we are going to attend the temple and next week we are going to see Mary Poppins.

I am grateful for all the marriage advice I wished I had received decades ago but none the less here I am trying my best. I am grateful for their examples. What they counseled us they lived and applied in their own marriages and they have been so blessed. This has been proven it is not just theory and they want the same blessings for all of us who are willing to listen and follow them.

Con amor,
Vero

No comments: