Thursday, January 10, 2019

Surprise!!!

The last time I was surprised was forty years ago in 1979 when a group of friends invited me to go out to eat ice-ceam but when I arrived, I noticed that every single person had a newspaper covering their faces and all of the sudden they said: SURPRISE! They had come there to say good bye and wish me well as I was departing the next day going home to El Salvador.

Today, I got another surprise. As I was about to talk to the Pathway students, I saw three people coming with birthday cakes singing happy birthday to me. each cake had candles and all. How sweet is that! It had been my birthday last week and Daniel had planned to do this sort of thing at our Pathway gathering but we din't have one last week so he did it this week anyway. All because I went to take a power nap on my birthday to be ready for the evening but never woke up in time to go out. I had the worst jet lag! I just couldn't keep my eyes open and woke up the next morning at 4:00 a.m. My husband knows how much I love celebrating birthdays and that was just a bummer!

But today, he made it happen. Some refer to it as positive thinking or the Secret or the law of expectation. All I know is that deep in my heart I felt sad to have missed my special day but today I can honestly say that I had my CAKE and ATE it TOO. No diet for me today. I was very surprised and couldn't even say all the things I had prepared Like setting goals for the new semester and to have faith and hope for good things to come and to work hard but all I could say to them was thank you!


When I was blowing out the candles I made some wishes that I hope they will come true. those wishes should come true and the reason why is because when I thought about them I decided to believe it will happen. I am willing to work extra hard this year for the things I want. 
  
I told the students that today was the first day of the rest of their life. Today we can start fresh, putting the past behind us with all the mistakes and regrets and we can start over. We can start fresh to become the person we want to be in our life. We can write our goals for what the rest of the semester will look like. It they can find the time to write it down and go one step further and create a vision board or what my daughter Cristi calls it a dream board. She had written about it in her Weeds to Wishes blog. What an incredible semester this is going to be. Brushing up our math. 

I told the students not to forget that today was the first day of a new semester and the first day of the rest of their lives. 

Con amor,
Vero

No comments: