Saturday, February 23, 2019

Journey of a Journal

My husband asked me the other day: “How many journals do you keep?” the answer is not enough! I wish I could capture every thought and learning experience good or bad to be recorded for the new generations. 

I love my life now where I can dedicate time to write stories. I love writing about my daily comings and goings. Our lives may be determined less by past events than by the way we remember them and that is why I keep various journals and blogs. 

I invite you to do the same. Start out by writing something each day like a gratitude journal. Next start writing your insights in a blog that you will re visit at least weekly. This is a good time to write about impression you felt as you read the scripture assignment for the week.  and last but not least, make a photo blog where you will post photos of life events. Make sure you don’t get too behind. 

What I love about our day and age we live in, is that our smart phones are also our cameras and we can take limitless photos. It's not like the old days where you had to have film inside the camera and many times photos were taken without film inside the camera without even realizing it just to find out later that no photos were taken.  

Telling stories about our past can help change our perspectives to enable healing and empowerment. In this way, we are able to make meaning out of a memory and put the past where it belongs - behind us. 

Healing and transformation are only possible through changing one's perspective from within. In this way, global healing takes place one individual, one tribe, at a time. What story are you living? How do you choose to remember your story? 

There is a Native American parable about a grandfather who says, I feel as if I have two wolves fighting in my heart. One wolf is the vengeful, angry one. The other wolf is the loving, compassionate one." When asked which wolf will win the fight in his heart, the old man replies, "The one I feed."

How do we learn to "feed" the stories that heal? 
How do we put together the pieces of our past? How can we rewrite our life story so that pain becomes meaningful and actually promotes growth and transformation? The answer is to simply start writing and keep on writing. 
 Now I am off to Singapore to create more wonderful memories.  I will be back in a week. 

Con amor,
Vero

No comments: