Monday, February 18, 2019

Feeling a little home sick

I grew up in El Salvador and moved to the United States when I was 18. I lived most of my grown -up years, over 30 years in Utah, except for 3 years in Tucson Arizona. 

In 2010 I moved to the Dominican Republic and in 2015 I moved to the Philippines where I am currently residing. People often say to me: “You are homeless, you don’t have a home to come to in Utah.” True, not in Utah because I consider my home anywhere my husband and I are living so my home now is in the Philippines. 

We went to a beautiful volcano resort last weekend and thought of El Salvador because I used to love hiking the San Salvador volcano. We have five volcanos in El Salvador. 



This month in February, El Salvador elected a new President and for the first time in years I didn’t travel over- seas to vote. My mom and sisters both went. I do hope and pray that this time the President elect will do what he promised and take care of the poor and the needy. 




El Salvador will always have a special place in my heart but I have to admit, I am more devoted to my adoptive country, The United States of America. 

I think of what I would be doing if I were in the U.S. Today, for instance I would be doing something special to celebrate the President's day holiday or at least I would be reading quotes from those wonderful Presidents. 

 e.g. This quote comes from my favorite President ever, George Washington. 

"I had rather be on my farm than an emperor of the world" 


 


Con amor,
Vero

No comments: